It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:06 am

Amstrad CTV2200 - anyone remember these?

Amstrad CTV2200 - anyone remember these?

Post by Colourstar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello all

I just found a photo of one of these sets on the web and I recall them being sold in our local large Asda superstore back in 1984/5. I'd be surprised if there are any surviving examples at all (bar the one in the photo and that's from several years ago). I'm not sure in what sense these models were 'Stereo'. I wonder if there was some kind of 'Spatial Stereo' button to give a pseudo-stereophonice effect by messing with the speaker phasing.

I'd actually give house room to one of these sets if I ever came across it, much as I'd quite like to own a Yugo 45. Probably about as much chance!

Any memories stirred?

Steve
Attachments
Amstrad CTV2200.jpg
A rare beast indeed...

Re: Amstrad CTV2200 - anyone remember these?

Post by Cathovisor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Well...

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/zastava_yugo_45

More chance than I'd have of getting a Renault 18 Turbo, in fact.

Post by steve1010 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 pm

What horrible things these were! wiring like a birds nest, self destruct power supply and line stage (if one blew it took the other with it !)
TDA3652 frame i/c was quickly no longer available and the mod kit fitted with the replacement TDA 3654 never gave good linearity.

The only good thing i can remember about these sets was they usually had good 56-540 tubes and most were scrapped for the tube.

Steve

Post by rob t » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 pm

these gave an excellent picture (when working)
biggest problem was dry joints hundreds of them.
but sit for an hour with a BIG roll of solder and they were more reliable.
Rob T

Post by Doz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Belting tubes. I always managed to get good linearity after fitting the mod kit too. The dry joints were the killer really, but once sorted seemed OK. Not a nice set to work on though.

Post by Studio263 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 am

They weren't stereo at all, there was only one audio stage and the loudspeakers were wired in parallel. In an case, with RF input only (as they had) there was no way of getting a stereo signal into it. The logo on the front says "SUPEr wide sOUND", but it looks like "stereo" if you only glance at it quickly.

I think they were made by Orion (the chassis at least), it was in simple terms a rather overblown version of the excellent CTV 1400, a set which apart from poor soldering under the line driver transformer, a fusible resistor in the audio stage and the tuner buttons never seemed to go wrong at all. The transition to the 30AX tube was not a happy one; remember the huge heatsinks on the chopper and line output transistors? The heat used to dry the big electrolytics up too, this was the root of a number of the CTV 2200's problems.

The tube was the best bit, normally French-made green label Mullard ones were used which in our shop at least enlivend many an ailing Philips K30 or BRC TX10. The styling of the cabinet in some ways echos that of the B&O LX2500, the worrying thing is that the Amstrad design pre-dates the B&O...

Post by malcscott » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:02 am

These Orion built sets had a bad reputation, but once all of the dry joints were sorted out they were ok. The Mullard 30AX crt gave very good sharp pics, i never had to replace one, Malc.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 am

They were an useful source of 30AX A56-540 CRTS. Otherwise absolute rubbish. The frame TDA3652 timebase chip often failed and the recommended replacement was the later production TDA3654. In order to fit this device a great deal of modification was required, I couldn't be bother with this and the simplest solution was to remove the TDA3652 from a Ferguson TX10 or 100 and use that chip for the replacement. The TDA3652 to TDA3654 substitution in the TX100 was easy, just one resistor needed a change of value, R98?

Anyway, the Amstrad CTV2200 didn't last long in service, non of them lasted the full life span of eight years. I didn't have any on rental so at least I got something right.
I have to agree the CTV1400 was an excellent set, reliable and gave a good picture.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Alastair » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh--I remember Those......

Wasn't there a wirewound standing upright that used to char the board till it dry-jointed itself....?

Still,--Their terrible reliability would be sheer Rolls-Royce compared to the flat-screen built-in 18 month lifespan of the crud sold today! :aak

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Alastair E wrote:Oh--I remember Those.....
Still,--Their terrible reliability would be sheer Rolls-Royce compared to the flat-screen built-in 18 month lifespan of the crud sold today! :aak

I guess you are right, it was not a very nice set but at least as you say it was serviceable a lot longer than the things we are trying to fix today. But remember the last of the CRT sets were not very nice either, all of those have gone. When did you last see a Vestel 11AK49?
And a service manual was available for the CTV2200!

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by colly0410 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm

So it was the Yugo of the TV scene then? My ex girlfriends stepdad had a yugo, I drove it a few times when he'd had too much to drink, seemed to drive OK from what I remember..

Post by Colourstar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Studio263 wrote:The logo on the front says "SUPEr wide sOUND", but it looks like "stereo" if you only glance at it quickly.

Thanks for clearing that up, Tim. I was squinting at the photo and couldn't make it out. :aal

Steve

Post by Studio263 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:22 am

Here's a slightly posher version...
Attachments
LX2800.jpg
B&O LX2800 - 1987

Post by slidertogrid » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:54 am

Amstrad had a good marketing remit. Provide a cheap version of what was the fad at the time. Be it video recorders, stack system stereo systems, colour portables and later computers. Alan Sugar made money out of home computers where Sir Clive (doing it properly) failed to.
The Video recorders weren't too bad in my experience. The "Double Decker" was a bit poor picture wise but soldiered on reasonably well.
These superwide things were the runt of the litter. I had a similar plan to others here. the only ones we saw were chargeable repairs courtesy of good old Freemans mail order.
We quoted high on the estimate, working on the principle that it would need a block change of capacitors and a good solder up to have any chance of it going for a while after repair.
Any that were donated by customers as a no go repair were used as a tube donor for something more worthy!
I'm sure I heard way back that they were imported as a wired circuit board and then assembled here with a UK made cabinet and tube.
perhaps that's why such a crappo pile ended up with a Mullard tube?
Horrid thing! Best forgotten!
:aah
Rich.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:10 pm

The CTV2200 was made in a factory in Shoeburyness Essex. I suppose the set wasn't a bad looking thing. "A good lookin' nowt" as they say in Geordieland.

Sir Alan calls it a day: http://www.amshold.com/social_media/The ... _Times.pdf

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi folks, RR here. I never saw an Amstrad set like the one shown here but I did find a different one in a skip once, I don't know which model it was but it had a silver plastic case with twin speakers and I thought it was such absolute garbage I left it there, and in the 80's I was always collecting sets out of skips either to refurb and sell or strip for spares, especially tubes, I wouldn't turn down free spares but this Amstrad thing looked dreadful, with wiring all over the place like discarded spaghetti. And as for the video machines by Amstrad I generally found that they had really poor mechanisms which were always badly worn as if the metal wasn't up to the job. I don't know which was worse them or those dreadful "Charlie" decks by Philips which were VHS made to thread up like a Betamax and had really brittle plastic bits which were always breaking even shortly after replacement. RR.

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm

I remember a local junk auction used to throw up sporadic loads of Amstrad and Fidelity products, and when the day's selling was over, throw most of them in the skip!

I rather unwisely bought one, once, and then returned it to the same sale about a fortnight later - I seem to remember giving a fiver for it, and gaining a tenner back, so not actually a bad result. :bba

I was just curious about these products and wanted a first hand look at one - I never bothered to look again.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 pm

In the 1980s I did sell Amstrad products. To be honest the VCR6000 series video recorders were very good indeed. All the problems with tape chewing in the VCR4600 had been well and truly addressed. Also certain pieces of audio equipment which again was not at all bad. There was very few returns under guarantee. And Amstrad did supply service manuals, a rare thing these days.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by ntscuser » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Rebel Rafter wrote:And as for the video machines by Amstrad I generally found that they had really poor mechanisms which were always badly worn as if the metal wasn't up to the job.

Ditto. I had their nicam stereo hi-fi recorder and was told after a couple of years of only moderate use that it was no longer economicably repairable as the baseplate had completely worn away. The firm from which I'd purchased a money-back guarantee defaulted too so I was massively out-of-pocket.

Post by ntscuser » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

ntscuser wrote:
Rebel Rafter wrote:And as for the video machines by Amstrad I generally found that they had really poor mechanisms which were always badly worn as if the metal wasn't up to the job.

Ditto. I had their nicam stereo hi-fi recorder and was told after a couple of years of only moderate use that it was no longer economicably repairable as the baseplate had completely worn away. It was made by Funai if I remember correctly? The firm from which I'd purchased a money-back guarantee (ColorVision) defaulted too so I was massively out-of-pocket.

Post by Refugee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 pm

I found an Amsread word processor that looked like a laptop in the 1990s.
It was of no use to me so I robbed it of a few parts and put the case back together and left it in the street on a Sunday morning.
It was gone within half an hour.
The quickest departure was an early JVC long play VHS recorder that was ex rental and badged Mulitbroadcast.
It had been thrashed for about 7 years on time shifting duty having been bought ex rental and it had a tatty case. It was before Hi-Fi stereo though.
The heads were near end of life and the tape was beginning to slip off the path.
I did not have time to fix it due to work and the fact that I had been given several more modern ones that were less warn.
With the remote poking out of the cassette hatch the old dog vanished in minutes.

Post by Studio263 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 am

I think that the VCR 4600 was one of the first two head SP / LP machines, all the "proper" ones needed four heads to do this at the time. Although cheap the technique ensures that the picture search and still modes are unusably poor, I never had much time for these. I remember the VCR 6000 too, with that huge remote with the scanner built in. Strange how this never caught on, compared to that dreadful VideoPlus nonesense.

Like all the Funai-based machines of this type the 4600's failing was that little rubber block at the front which went soft and stoped the mechanism shifting the reel clutch from the playback to the winding mode properly. In the Amstrad tradition we used break these in order to fix something better - the capstan motor would work in a Hitachi / B&O deck if you swapped the phonic wheel and the pulley over and was much less wear prone, I still have a couple of spare ones now.

There were Amstrad video recorders before the 4600, I remember a silver top loader that looked like a cheap version of a Hitachi VT-11 from the outside. Inside it was still Funai, a solid affair whose weakness was the reel motor pulley (like Sharp) which wore smooth and wouldn't drive. A quick buff with the oxide paper and off you go, happy days. There may have been a front loading version of it too, still silver but which an orange power button. Does anyone remember them?

Post by rob t » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:39 am

We used to have about 20 TVR3's out on rental bought direct from amstad the reliability was good ,
And amstrad DID supply full service info.
Maybe we were lucky with ours?
Rob T

Post by Mkstevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 pm

I had a Yugo 45. Bought it very cheap. It was horrid to look at, not much better to drive. My Dad reckoned the brakes were unsafe but they just needed a FIRM PRESS.

It was utterly reliable though and I think it was possibly the only car I sold for as much as I paid for it. Not much!

The door lock and ignition lock were not very discriminatory in what key was used. Almost anything that went in the slot would turn it. Strange how it was never stolen...

Post by malcscott » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:42 am

I remember Amstrad using an Orion made vcr. Top loader, never gave much trouble, Malc.

Next

Return to Colour Television