It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Lesser known 70's CTV's.

Lesser known 70's CTV's.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi, from RR. We all know about the more common colour sets of the 70's like the G8 & 9 and the Thorn 3000/3500/8000/8500 etc. and the Rank A823/Z718/T20 etc. and the ITT CVC5/7/8/9, CVC20 and onwards etc. but what about the lesser known and less common sets like Thorn 4000 series or the Rank Z179 for instance, has anyone here got any of these or ever worked on any significant numbers of them? I've only ever vaguely heard about them, I've never actually seen them, not even pictures. But I have had some rare 70's sets of my own. I once had an ITT FT110 which was all solid state and 110 degree delta though I can't remember the tube type, as far as I can remember it was the bog standard A66 140X, one of which recently appeared on the bay and was a bit pricey, or it could've been the A66 410X which I think was the quick heat version with the smaller cathodes. And I also had another set which I got given which I was told was a Granada Finlandia and therefore presumably made by Salora. That too was a 110 degree delta 26" one but the tube in that one was a fancy narrow neck delta with toroidal scancoils a bit like the ones on the tube used in the Rediffusion Mk3 PIL tube. It also had a right weird thyristor power supply which made a very audible thumping noise when it was tripping. It also had several extra boards with loads of old 74 series TTL chips and an extra board with some other chips on which for some reason wasn't covered in the manual, it showed everything else. This was one of loads of quite exotic sets which appeared during the early 70's boom time. I also had another couple of Italian sets called Autovox, anyone remember them, they had an audio output stage with a high voltage transistor and a transformer, a bit like the Thorn 8000. Anyone else got any memories of any of these or other 70's "exotics", like Korting, or Zanussi or Indesit? And of course there was those Grundigs with the thyristor line o/p and full remote control made way back in 1972! I had one of those too. RR.

Re: Lesser known 70's CTV's.

Post by ntscuser » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:10 am

Autovox was a Comet "own brand" in the UK if I remember correctly? It was aimed at the luxury-set market but at a relatively low price.

Post by PYE625 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 am

I remember a rather nice set called a Finlux Peacock....it was a 26 inch with two speakers and I can remember being impressed with the quality. It would have been the early 80's, but the set would probably have dated from quite a bit earlier.
Attachments
peacock_861729.jpg
peacock_861729.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

Post by slidertogrid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

The first place I worked for after leaving school still had a myriad of the colour boom models out on rent into the early 1980's. It seems they had bought anything they could get their hands on in 71/2. We had to keep them going as they were being re rented as decontrolled sets and there was no shortage of customers then!
The Finlux peacock with it's two on off switches to catch out the engineer who had not seen one before.. very embarrassing when the customer has to show you how to turn the set on!
The very heavy 22" EMO with it's massive mains transformer and weird "secam type way of doing PAL" decoder.. EY509 line output valve.
Teleton simple PAL, metal cabinet covered in fablon "wood" (more special valves to stock)
We even had a few Tyne sets, some of the cabinets had a very homemade look about them.
less oddball was the formidable Saba telecommander with it's motorised pots and on off switch.
There was a few Kortings still around, I liked them but the worst oddball was a sort of copy of the CVC5 chassis but with a 25kv overwind on the lopt instead of a tripler. I cant remember what make they were sold as . They were a terrible thing, the LOPTx had a very short life and became really expensive. We soon gave up with them and they became the first "automatic disposal" single standard set. They got flogged off at the same time as the dual standard stuff!
The Combi Colour was another Oddball that spares ran out quickly for, the Varicap head went very "drift o tune" (pat pend) after a few years. replacements were NLA and the original was completely unrepairable as the carbon track was usually worn through or peeling off.
However armed with a CVC5 head from SENDZ, some Araldite, two small blocks of wood and a grommet to blank off the extra hole where the fine tune knob was all would be well again.
Oh happy days!
All together now...."It's crap service you get renting your clapped out set from.......(I'd better not say)
Oh happy days!
:cca
Rich.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Even rarer and less known colour TVs are the Berryvision and the later versions branded as "Tyne". Not named after the river in NE England, it was the surname of the owner of the firm that manufactured the sets.

Actually, if you think about it, in the early seventies the Japanese brands we are familiar with today would have been considered something rare and exotic. I remember being offered Toshiba TVs in 1972.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Lloyd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:26 pm

My Nan and Grandad had a Korting 'Nimbus' (it said it under the left side of the screen!), I remember they had it into the mid 90's at least, and the picture would turn blue occasionally, so my Grandad would get up and thump the top of it and the colour would come back! He always said 'the tube's bust, that's why it keeps going'. When they got their new set (actually bought by my great uncle!), a Crown badged Nicam stereo 21" FST, the old Korting was taken away by my great uncle who got it repaired, and loaned it out again for a few more years. Don't know what happened to it after that, I haven't seen it since, shame if it got dumped after all that! I would have quite liked it myself... Would be nice to see one again!

Regards,
Lloyd.

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

ASA?

Post by slidertogrid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Berryvision rings a bell, we may have had some of those as well.
I still have an IF tuner board for a Tyne, I wonder if there are any sets left? The Nat pan 85G was one of the best imports of the time. They never went wrong and had a brilliant picture. we did get the occasional call for a green line down the middle of the screen after the grandchildren had visited sometimes though.. :qq1 The only real fault I can remember ( when the sets got really old) was a 10mfd electrolytic that dried up and caused shading.
Sharp did a strange 18 or 19" set called the Lynitron. ( I think) early models had a mechanical turret type tuner, later ones had a odd touch tune arrangement that was fussy if you tried to change channels when wearing shoes.
Difficulty obtaining spares for them after a few years meant that we ended up with quite a few on the rack for parts, when they were eventually scrapped I took three home to try to make one good one from the three, but my plan failed because all the sets had been robbed of the same parts.
I put them out for the dustman only to see them turn up in a local furniture auction a week later! it seems the bin men were into recycling even back then!
From then on any scrap sets had the tube neck broken and the back left off. I would then dispose of the backs the following week after the sets had gone.
Within a few years all the interesting old sets had gone and it was just G11 after G11... yawn ..

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 pm

slidertogrid wrote:Sharp did a strange 18 or 19" set called the Lynitron. ( I think) early models had a mechanical turret type tuner, later ones had a odd touch tune arrangement that was fussy if you tried to change channels when wearing shoes.

Within a few years all the interesting old sets had gone and it was just G11 after G11... yawn ..

I think the early Sharp CTV you mention is the model which had the strange black and white plastic cabinet. It would be about 1973 when I bought a few for rental. Good reliable sets, excellent picture quality.
Sharp continued to make good colour TVs until the awful CS chassis models came along. Horrible sets, luckily for me I got wind about these sets and didn't buy any. A few came in for repair after the owners had taken the sets from one repair shop to another.
The later DS and ES models were much better but the CS had ruined the reputation of the Company.

Your right about the G11 stuff, worthy but boring.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by crustytv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:07 am

Rebel Rafter wrote: what about the lesser known and less common sets like Autovox, anyone remember them, they had an audio output stage with a high voltage transistor and a transformer

From 1982

av2281.jpg

Post by Focus 2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:12 am

Perhaps we can include the Sanyo CT370 range of 16" hybrid portables? Employed conventional UK valves apart from the 3BS2A EHT rectifier. Looks like a GY501 with a peculiar 12 pin base arrangement. I still have one of these not used for years. Works but needs restoration. The EHT rectifier was replaced with a stick rectifier before I got it.

Brian

Post by slidertogrid » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:39 pm

One set that I didn't see was the KB CVC1 and 2.
I don't know if KB had production problems we had loads of VC53 and Vc200s still in service but the only KB colour set I knew of was a CVc2 owned by one of the field engineers.
I never saw the set but he said it had never gone wrong since new.(this would have been around 1977 so the set was a few years old by then)
I never saw or heard of another for decades until a few years ago when one turned up for sale.
Were they sold in small numbers or was it just here that they appear to have been in short supply? They must have been the only UK production colour TV with a wired chassis?
The later Sharp sets of the 1990's certainly were crap of the highest order, we even had one blow up in the shop on demo before we could sell it. To make the situation worse it had blown the corner off the main PCB and Sharp expected us to repair it!
We stopped dealing with Sharp and changed over to Toshiba. A set I sold my cousin in around 1992 is still in daily use to this day. Total repairs - 1. A little blue disc cap that went off bang around 10 years ago!
They don't make them like that anymore!
Rich.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:04 am

ITT-KB didn't make many CVC1 and CVC2 sets. It's likely the old fashioned hand wired chassis didn't lend itself to large scale production. They got away with the hand wired monochrome VC series because there was not so many components in the chassis. Still, by 1970 the production planners would have been glad to get rid of the VC51 and CVC2 models. The CVC5 was based on the German Kombi Color design. Now that set is another rare 1970s colour TV. Very similar to the CVC5 except the EHT was derived from a 25KV winding on the line output transformer. I don't think the ITT Kombi Color set was an official import. It is more likely an independent import firm brought these sets into the UK. And to think this country wasn't in the Common Market in 1969!
Another rare '70s CTV was the ITT FT110.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Return to Colour Television