It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 am

VCR Question?

VCR Question?

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi All, Recently I acquired a JVC SR-VS10 VCR from College. It's a fairly modern recorder with DV built in which means it can of course be used to port video via Firewire onto a PC and be captured using a video editing programme

Anyway, A couple of weeks ago I transferred a friends home movie to PC. It came out well a few dropped frames but thats because of the age of the video.

This week, She gave me two more videos. I tried capturing them and noticed the video heads seem to have gone walkies? I double checked it wasn't my PC by plugging it direct into my TV via SCART and this confirmed the Video Heads appear to have gone out of aligment. I also checked with a few known good VHS' and it was again confirmed?

Only thing is I cannot work out how? It's been sat on my bedroom floor and as I said worked fine a few weeks ago. I have tripped over it a few times but highly doubt that would move them as they're locked into position surely?

Any ideas? .

By the way, To aid this. I have no remote :zx:

Re: VCR Question?

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

It'd be worth checking that any interconnects between the deck and the main board haven't been parted by the percussion you've given it :qq1

On some machines the deck plugs straight in to the main board. Get the lid off, you know you want to!

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi, Sadly it's not as simple as that I have checked and nothing has been dislodged.

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:19 pm

Rats. Are you - assuming that the tapes were recorded in this mode - still getting Hifi sound? I assume you've tried cleaning the heads? Remember, if the tape you've transferred is quite old and/or not of a 'quality' brand (what we used to call a 'petrol station special'), a head clog is possible...

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:41 pm

The sound was fluttering but now seems to have settled down.

Video wise the video displays fine when FF or RW which is unusual..

The head looks clean

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Jamie wrote:The sound was fluttering but now seems to have settled down.
H
Video wise the video displays fine when FF or RW which is unusual..

The head looks clean

Ah-ha! You need to clean and if possible, demagnetise the control track head. What's happening is that in the absence of control track pulses, it's unable to lock up and produce a stable picture. In picture search mode you get an artificial field sync pulse to make a stable picture. The wandering sound is similarly, another side-effect because in the absence of the control track pulses, the capstan servo has nothing to lock up to.

Sony C5s were the very devil for this - in fact, they'd mute the picture completely in playback, but it'd work in picture search.

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm

How do I clean the head? Me and mechanical things do not go well... Especially tape recorders of ANY kind...

Post by rob t » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Catho is probably right if this recorder has 2 video heads if it has 4 or 6 heads see if you can borrow a scotch head cleaning tape and run that through ,I don't recommend the paper type.
Clean the control head the same way as you would an audio tape head.
Take a look at the capstan (both the tyre and the drive spindle) on the spindle look for lines that coincide with the top and bottom of the tape. On the tyre the surface needs to be flat not convex or concave. the reason for this is any contamination will cause the tape to ride so that the control head does not align with the control track.
old tapes do loose oxide so worth checking the complete tape path .
Rob T

Return to Video Tape Recorders