It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 am

Ferguson Videostar 3V65 (JVC HRD-170 rebadge)

Ferguson Videostar 3V65 (JVC HRD-170 rebadge)

Post by AidanLunn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:55 am

Why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh why am I mad enough to live late 80s VCRs?

Hello all, I'd be very grateful to everyone who can offer help on this one.

This family heirloom has a mode/servo problem. The symptoms:

Switching on (it automatically switched on when you plug it in. Hmmmm.....), the reel drive motor winds slowly in the rewind direction. Then, about 5 seconds later, the mode motor comes u, but the cam gear doesn't shift*. It moves OK when hand turned.
The machine then shuts down and goes to standby.

*As it hasn't been used since about 2002, naturally I thought this was a belt problem, so I replaced with a belt from a brand new belt kit for these machines. No difference.

So I scoured my little red book for VCR fault notes and that noted under the JVC HRD-170 heading that the voltage regulator (STK5481) can cause symptoms very similar to this. However, the voltages on the STK and on the output of the regulator board are all OK.

I'm stuck now, I don't even know where to take this next? Was there ever a flow chart diagram with general advice and a diagnostics procedure? I ask as I'm struggling to work out a logical, methodical way of diagnosing VCR deck faults.

Many thanks for reading and for any help offered, it's greatly appreciated.

Re: Ferguson Videostar 3V65 (JVC HRD-170 rebadge)

Post by AidanLunn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:36 am

By the way, I should mention I will be away for a few days until Tuesday evening, so don't think I'm being rude in not replying or acknowledging any comments.

Post by Refugee » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 am

Those regulator blocks can oscillate if there is a bad cap about.
Scope it under load if you can't see a bad cap.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi, RR here. I once had a similar VCR, it was a JVC HRD-170 and I had to replace the head motor. It was a fine machine, a lot better than some of the others around at the time and a lot easier to service than the dreaded Panasonic G deck. Is this the one with frequency synthesised tuning? I had one like that but I can't remember if it was the same one. I think your fault could be caused by a faulty mode switch, that's if that deck has one, I can't remember that well now. ISTR it had a sliding type mode switch and a lot of VHS machines in the late 80's had them and they were a common failure causing all sorts of confusing deck faults. I once had an Aiwa machine with a fancy jog-shuttle system and that had a faulty mode switch which on that VCR was part of a big PCB and I had to retension the wiping leaf spring type contacts and that cured it until it suffered a serious syscon failure so that was the end of that one. There is a place in Sheffield that has some older VHS and tv parts, I think they're called Irwin. RR.

Post by AidanLunn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Rebel Rafter wrote:Hi, RR here. I once had a similar VCR, it was a JVC HRD-170 and I had to replace the head motor. It was a fine machine, a lot better than some of the others around at the time and a lot easier to service than the dreaded Panasonic G deck. Is this the one with frequency synthesised tuning? I had one like that but I can't remember if it was the same one. I think your fault could be caused by a faulty mode switch, that's if that deck has one, I can't remember that well now. ISTR it had a sliding type mode switch and a lot of VHS machines in the late 80's had them and they were a common failure causing all sorts of confusing deck faults. I once had an Aiwa machine with a fancy jog-shuttle system and that had a faulty mode switch which on that VCR was part of a big PCB and I had to retension the wiping leaf spring type contacts and that cured it until it suffered a serious syscon failure so that was the end of that one. There is a place in Sheffield that has some older VHS and tv parts, I think they're called Irwin. RR.

That's the same machine, proudly proclaiming "frequency synthesis tuning" on the cassette flap. I have a HRD-170 that works fine but that seems to be a later version, there are several noticeable differences between the HRD-170 and the 3V65, despite them allegedly being the same machine.

Return to Video Tape Recorders