It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 am

Ferguson FV33H VCR - continuing PSU issues with this

Re: Ferguson FV33H VCR - continuing PSU issues with this

Post by Refugee » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 pm

I had to check all the voltages on the idler motor drive chip and that is how I found one that was missing.
That involved a trace back on the circuit diagram and lead me to spotting another lurking fuse that may be the one Adrian is looking for on the other example of this VCR that he owns that has an audio issue.
The diodes were 30V and 8.2V so it is running at 28.2 volts.
It appears to only be there to prevent the voltage creeping up while it is in standby.
Voltage appears to be present on a lot more of the circuit than I originally expected for a VCR while it is in standby but that is just the way it is.

Post by Refugee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:31 pm

This afternoon we got it going with two more track repairs on the motor drives and another on the front panel.
It is now showing a mono picture.
A badly dented crystal has emerged from the cabinet and we have not yet found out where it has come from or even if it actually belongs to this set. Adrian has taken the crystal away with him so there is no photo right now.
I have not done a decoder on one of these machines as most of my trade experience comes from industrial CCTV stuff so we now need an expert on colour faults on these kind of sets.
We now have a running deck all be it a bit rough from a set that was wrecked by a courier.
The take up spool is a little sluggish starting up but that is most likely a bad capacitor downstream of the power supply so Adrian can manage that himself.
Adrian has another example of this set and it has HIFI audio trouble and this one is showing good audio although we did not connect it up as my test monitor only has mono sound and we would have had to run long cables to a big heavy valve stereo amp over the other side of the room.
This job could end up with an audio board borrow to check it out and see if it is heads or electronics on the second set.
I have not looked at the second set yet as this one was mostly courier damage and squeaky hubs.
Chris has had some success today too so we are doing all right :thumb

Post by AidanLunn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 am

Yes, this VCR has been badly damaged by the inconsiderate apes that delivered it, who shall remain nameless. The front board was snapped clean through on the IR and eject button side, so a temporary repair has been arranged now to get the eject button working, the IR sensor isn't working until I get the board diagram back from Refugee's place, which is staying there for the time being whilst my JVC example of this same machine is repaired. Refugee did tell me what parts of that board needed wiring up to which other tracks, but I have a memory like a sieve when it comes to things like that so I'll wait until I have the diagram back.

Post by Nisse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:33 pm

I managed to restore my old VHS from the dead by using the info in this thread. Thank you all for that!
One task still remains, adjusting the out put voltage with R9. Where do I check the voltage when I adjust?
/Nils

Previous

Return to Video Tape Recorders