It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 am

Ferguson 3V00 Video Recorder

Ferguson 3V00 Video Recorder

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi all,

Today I called in at my local branch of the Salvation Army charity shop to drop off some odds and ends for them to sell on when I came across a fairly tidy looking Ferguson Videostar3V00 video recorder they had on display. It wasn't actually for sale (health and safety etc) but the guy knows my collecting habits (he must think I'm potty....and he's probably right :qq1 ) and said I could have it for a donation so a few quid dropped into their collection tin and off I went with the Video.

Once home I thought I would give it a try, plugged it in and switched on....clock lit up and channel indicator LED's all worked. I put a tape in and tried the fast forward and rewind keys and they worked too :) then the bravery bit....I pushed the play key and half expected the machine to chew up the tape but it didn't it just played ! so now I hunted round for a 625 TV to try it on and connected it up and pressed the play key again, I got sound but the picture is just snow so I guess there is some head cleaning needed also the machine will only play for 2 or 3 seconds then switches out of play.

I have no idea about video recorders so any comments and advice would be most welcome.

A quick snap shot below shows that it is quite tidy for 30 plus years old, it just needs a good clean and I reckon it'll look almost like new :bba

Cheers
Marc.

DSCF3002 forum.jpg

Re: Ferguson 3V00 Video Recorder

Post by Refugee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm

I can remember those machines.
I think the three seconds is the take up spool sensor signal indicating no/poor motion of the take up hub.

Post by rob t » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Should be an easy fix .a belt kit and the take up spool idler (maybe just the tyre ) ,
a head cleaning tape may clear the heads or if you know how a bit of card or a finger nail.
Rob T

Post by jayceebee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Press play and immediately press pause, if it still shuts off after 3 or so seconds you will probably find the video head drum is not spinning. Almost certainly a belt problem.

My first VHS recorder was the model previous to this one, the 3292 which I recall cost around £600 in 1978. Although I no longer have the machine I still have the the tape that came with it, the first E180 I purchased in that year cost £19.99

John

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi all,

Just tried John's tip with the pause and it still shuts off.
So it looks like your all on the right track....it needs a belt kit.
Does any one one know or recommend where to get them from ?

Cheers
Marc.
Last edited by marc on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Well, sounds like the light bulb is okay (the one that pokes into the cassette housing and tells the machine there's tape in it) - East London Components sell the idler for £4.50, might be worth finding out mechanically equivalent machines for belts etc.

However... I thought the "stop even in pause" signified the drum wasn't rotating, which would be directly driven, surely?

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Cathovisor wrote:
However... I thought the "stop even in pause" signified the drum wasn't rotating, which would be directly driven, surely?

Hi Mike,

Good point, shows how much I know about VCR's !
I feel a request for some service data coming on :aaq

Oh and yes the bulb is OK :)

Marc.

Post by jayceebee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Drum is most definitely belt driven on this model, remove the top grey cover then the screening cover over the drum and have a look. As soon as play is pressed the it should spin at a high rpm.

If it doesn't remove the bottom cover then remove two screws from the front of the large signal panel (not the two at the rear with the earth straps) and gently swing it open, this will allow you to inspect the condition of most of the belts.

John
Last edited by jayceebee on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by mark pirate » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 pm

might be worth finding out mechanically equivalent machines for belts etc.

The 3V22 is basically the same machine, I still have mine that I bought second hand back in 1981!
These were an excellent machine, I used mine for 20 years and all it needed was a replacement head and a belt kit!
If the head is not spinning, the belt will have come off. This is accessed by removing the base of the machine. and undoing a couple of screws on the PCB, this folds open allowing access to the belt.

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm amazed the heads are belt driven - sounds like a servo nightmare...? :aab

Mind you, it's been a *very* long time since I've been in a vintage VCR - maybe it's time I resurrected my N1502 and N1700...

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi all,

Just taken a peak at the belts and yes the drive belt to the head was hanging off. I put it back in place and the VCR worked with a good picture (can't vouch for colour as I'm using a BW set) but the belt came off again after half a minute. I have tried turning the belt inside out but the same happened again.
I'm guessing the belt has obviously stretched, is there any way of shrinking it back....have I heard someone on VRAT say "boil the belt" or am I dreaming it :aaq

Cheers
Marc.

Post by rob t » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes boil it for about 2 mins it works honest . do the capstan belt as well
Rob T

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Belt-boiling was a really cheapskate, nasty trick and is to be strongly deprecated.

I don't know if Charles Hyde sell to the public, but:

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/xtra-parts/3v00-belt-kit-ferg-alternate-vbkite.htm

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 pm

ppppenguin wrote:
Cathovisor wrote:I'm amazed the heads are belt driven - sounds like a servo nightmare...? :aab

You think a teeeny weeny belt driven VHS drum is a sevo nightmare. Have you ever worked on an Ampex VR7003 or other 1" A format VTR? Ruddy great drum essentially identical to C format, driven by a belt. A least C format machines had direct drive for the drums.

I worked on a "Quad". That put me off VTRs for life....

Post by rob t » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 pm

Cathovisor wrote:Belt-boiling was a really cheapskate, nasty trick and is to be strongly deprecated.

I don't know if Charles Hyde sell to the public, but:

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/xtra-parts/3v00-belt-kit-ferg-alternate-vbkite.htm

Only if you charged for a new one ,it could get a rental m/c back to the customer quickly and last a few years . new belts are far better but sometimes need must,
Rob T

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi all,

Belts boiled but the head belt still gets thrown off whether it's the original way round, inside out or upside down so it looks like a new belt will be needed. Boiling was worth a go but it was only ever going to be temporary just to make sure the rest of the VCR was in working order.

Belt hunting continues :aaq

Marc.

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Well, it does look like CHS take plastic from the public, Marc...

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Cathovisor wrote:Well, it does look like CHS take plastic from the public, Marc...

Thanks for the tip Mike, I've just had a look at their site but I will have to wait a little while as the price almost doubles once the orders placed :aaq have to wait till pay day.

Marc.

Post by Doz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Try Peter Hill 01684296902

Post by marc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi all,

Thanks guys for all your suggestions for belt suppliers I shall follow them up tomorrow :bba

Now just out of curiosity I took the belt back off again but this time I cleaned it with meths followed by another boil and this time it's holding on to the pulleys and the VCR has now been running for 20 minutes without the belt coming off, at least now I can see that the VCR is most definitely working but the picture is a little jittery though that might be the rubbish portable set I'm using :cch .

Marc.

Post by Katie Bush » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi Marc,

I seem to recall that a jittery picture was likely to be caused by noisy head drum bearings, and a picture that surges left to right was either, worn bearings on the capstan motor, or a problem with the capstan servo.

Is the picture jittery on the line, or on the frame? Not to be mistaken with line hooking or twitching at the top of the picture.

I can remember replacing a set of head drum bearings, about twenty years or so ago.. Tiny as they are, they are a commercially available bearing - I think mine came from Edmunds Walker!

It would be interesting to see it in action, to make a proper diagnosis.

Now, not long ago, I had a couple of these machines.. One was really only fit for spares, but the other was a restoration candidate, albeit with some of its brushed aluminium missing.. I wonder where they got to!

Marion

Post by marc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:11 am

Hi Marion and all,

The jittery picture was as suspected the dodgy portable TV. :cch
I now have the VCR running on the main room set and I'm actually staggered just how good the reproduction is :)

It's funny but I always seem to remember visiting friends homes in the late 70's early 80's and seeing their "piano key" machines with rather iffy pictures and bad tracking effects but this machine is showing no such signs of those problems, the pictures are clear and sharp....not bad for 35 ish years old :aad

I will however still be ordering a belt kit for it as it's far too good a machine to short cut it :qq1

Marc.

Post by AidanLunn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 am

Early VHS machines had exceptional picture reproduction (for the format), and the mono track for sound was very good, too

The jittering you experienced sounds like it's the flywheel sync of the TV jittering to the irregular line pulses from the tape, they are so because of the stability (or lack of) from the VCRs motors. This is why many late 70s and early 80s sets had an AV or VCR preset, to decrease the time constant of the flywheel sync that would otherwise be used for avoiding line jitter in poor signal areas. Sets without this feature would often come with modification instructions to manually do the same job.

Sounds like those people didn't know what they were doing, with it being new technology they might have just assumed and accepted that it was just like that.

Post by marc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 am

AidanLunn wrote:

The jittering you experienced sounds like it's the flywheel sync of the TV jittering to the irregular line pulses from the tape, they are so because of the stability (or lack of) from the VCRs motors. This is why many late 70s and early 80s sets had an AV or VCR preset, to decrease the time constant of the flywheel sync that would otherwise be used for avoiding line jitter in poor signal areas. Sets without this feature would often come with modification instructions to manually do the same job.

Hi Aidan,

No, it's just the set that's knackered.

Doesn't matter what signal it's fed with it still jitters due to a naff vertical hold pot but as it's only one of those 5" Chinese TV/Radios that flooded the market in the early naughty's I'm not going to bother with it.

Marc.

Post by sideband » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

Cathovisor wrote:I'm amazed the heads are belt driven - sounds like a servo nightmare...? :aab

I've not worked on a 3V00 but I'm sure there were other early VHS models that had belt-driven heads. I came across one once (the only one) and suspect it may have been an Akai :aab ? Still possible it was a JVC clone though.

Next

Return to Video Tape Recorders