It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am

Anyone any experience with MUTER 2005 CRT Tester...?

Anyone any experience with MUTER 2005 CRT Tester...?

Post by Alastair » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Ive just won one on auction-site, as I have no proper tester of my own--always needed to borrow one!

This looks to be pretty fair condition with a number of adapters, hope there's a delta-gun one and a mono tube adapter in there too....

Are these testers any good?--Whats your experience with them?

Re: Anyone any experience with MUTER 2005 CRT Tester...?

Post by Katie Bush » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi Alastair,

Do you have any pictures of the tester, and ideally, the adaptors?

I have the Muter BMR 95, but it seriously under reads and needs a look at.. Muter is said to be one of the top brands, and I have no reason to doubt that.. The build quality is good, the documentation is also good and the adaptors are easy to make up if you don't have one for a specific application.. I needed to make up what I suppose you would realistically call a loom, with sockets for B12 and B8 CRTs.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7758&p=84574&hilit=muter+bmr95#p84574

On mine, the heater voltages are fixed, and predetermined by which loom you use (according to CRT on test) and therefore unlike most other testers, which allow you to set the voltages manually.. That is a bit of a downer, since you sometimes need to just peak slightly above the nominal volts to get things warmed up, and emissions started.

My BMR 95 has three meters, one for each colour gun, plus a fourth meter to set up the G2 and cut off values.. The three separate meters for the emissions are extremely useful since that obviates the need to physically switch between guns, plus it means you can see all three at the same time.

It would be interesting to see some pictures of your tester. :aad

Marion

Post by freya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Looks like it uses the same adaptors Marion, link to pdf here http://www.andysarcade.de/data/electron ... r_2005.pdf

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Indeed it does! To point of fact, the whole thing looks virtually identical - short of digging mine out of its hidey hole for a more detailed look.

I suppose logic would dictate that one manufacturer isn't going to mess about with a different adaptor system on each of their models - I'd say they'll be the same adaptors throughout.. That's the good news! The bad news is, if you need an adaptor, you'll need to make it up yourself, as was the case for me.. The next bit of good news is, they're fairly easy to make, and as long as you have the CRT data to match just one of the supplied adaptors, you can figure out (cross reference) the wiring - the only caveat being, make sure you're looking at an adaptor that uses the correct voltage for the one you want to make up. :aad

Marion

Post by freya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I never did work out an adapter for the 2 volt mazda octal.

Post by Alastair » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Ah--Cheers for the PDF Freya...

I haven't received it yet, A friend is picking it up, as seller wlll not post--so 'Plan-B' implemented, I'll probably get it sometime next week, I'm in no huge rush for it.

I still have the A56-120X I pulled from the CVC2, I had intended to dump it--so I'll experiment on it. I had tried the 'non-destructive' but only gave marginal improvement and didn't cure the poor focus on bright parts of the picture...

--Having two CRT's the same, one pretty poor and the other excellent will give me an idea of the readings one should expect when testing at least....

Ive read through the instruction PDF, and it appears the Muter has some peculiarities all its own.

Life-Test is sorta done in reverse--Muter Increase the heater-volts (I have no idea how much by) and measure the increase in cathode-current, and also refer this to a simple equation to gauge the actual expected life-span of the cathode, based on 20 hours use per week...

--As I recall--Life-Test on B&K reduces the heaters and you note the drop in emission to judge lifespan, but don't recall any similar equation....

I did smile--they include 'Guarantee-Cards' in the manual to give to customers indicating the reactivation and quoting a years expected service.... :aak
Also, the wording and descriptions in the manual are amusingly translated from German....

Return to Test Equipment