It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:42 am

Racal Dana 8010B

Re: Racal Dana 8010B

Post by Refugee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:40 am

Cheers for the tidy up :thumb
The Daws unit appears to be pretty close to what I was expecting except for the counter being additive only with a count that starts below what is expected frequency stopping when the unknown frequency period is reached with the indicators wired as a user display only.
I have chosen a LW radio to do the radio4 beat test with while we have some fun checking out the crystal oven. It has to be on the web to fit in with the forum :bbc
It will be tomorrow now as there were a few household distractions today.

The original photos show the air filter that had turned to dust and the only other work was to replace a capacitor that felt warm to the touch and the new one still felt warm but somewhat less so.
Well with sheets of 74 series logic in there it did not startle me in any way.
I used a Wilco vacuum cleaner motor filter that is sadly now discontinued as a replacement for the dust.
DSCF5791.JPG
Attachments
DSCF5792.JPG
DSCF5797.JPG
DSCF5817.JPG
DSCF5822.JPG

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:24 am

In presentation, it reminds me of a HP counter bought from a Radiophile event in Shifnal some twenty-plus years ago. There's something appealing about counters full of Nixie tubes... I also have an Advance timer/counter full of Nixies.

Day to day counter is a TTi PFM1300.

Post by Refugee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Nixie tube kit is always nice and also well built.
I also have a little battery and mains LED with wall wart counter branded Optoelectronics INC that I bought new around 1980. I had to save up for it. The rechargeable batteries rotted long ago but thankfully they were mounted on long stand offs and did no damage.

Post by Cathovisor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Refugee wrote:Nixie tube kit is always nice and also well built.

I think the reality was it was built at a time when the engineering considerations came first and the engineering department then said to the accountants "this is what it costs to make, now it's up to you to sell it." I have some early 1960s HP test equipment and the standard is utterly faultless.

It now seems to be the other way around :cch

A well-known figure in the world of vintage television once said to me that sometimes it felt like Marconi were a metalworking company that occasionally fitted electronics to their products :aaj

Post by Refugee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Marconi kit is well built too with those "picture frame" front panel castings to protect the knobs when the instrument is moved. They are heavy so a little knock would crack the knobs easily.
Modern stuff is so cheap as chips that you just replace it if it gets a little scratch on it.

Post by Refugee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:01 pm

I have now done a calibration check on the crystal on both of my counters.
I plugged the counter into the sig gen and set it to 198Khz and switched on the oldest internet radio I could find and gently rocked the frequency control on the generator until I could hear it modulating the AGC at the difference between 198Khz and the indicated frequency on the counter.
It is spot on but still I did a triple check.
So with transistor lineups from three nations.
Internes radio Japan TR82 for Mullard and Pigmy for ATES (now part of SGS Thompson France).
All tests were consistent :thumb
Attachments
DSCF2135.JPG
DSCF2136.JPG
DSCF2141.JPG
DSCF2154.JPG
DSCF2153.JPG

Previous

Return to Test Equipment