It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 am

BGA ic.

BGA ic.

Post by malcscott » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi, anywhere i can get a BGA ic reflowed? Malc.

Re: BGA ic.

Post by Pamphonica » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Anyone who is a proficient SMD solderer with a good hot-air pencil might be able to reflow it.
There are also stories of using conventional "toaster" ovens for reflow! Try Googling "BGA reflow".
But if it's in the middle of a board the oven method won't work - you'll need the hot-air pencil.
If you get stuck I do have a decent hot air pencil and could have a go, but must stress that I am not experienced with BGAs.

Jeremy

Post by davegsm82 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm

I also have a Hot-air pencil type station, and in all honesty, of the 4-5 BGA's I've ever seriously tried to reflow, only 1 has ever worked.

I've tried graphics chipsets on Compaq/HP laptops and they just failed completely, possibly because of the sheer size of the silicon die. The one that worked was a small-ish chipset on a Wifi Dongle that I accidentally kicked out of the front of the computer.

The trick seems to be to warm up the whole board gently from cold, to probably 200 degrees Centrigrade over the space of a few minutes, then really close in with the hot air set to 350 degrees or so for 30-45 seconds absolute max, then turn down the heat to zero over a few minutes. If the board is small, make sure it is secure and can't move. Also, nothing will reflow without flux, a little poke with a screwdriver to shift the solder on the pads seems to help too.

Dave.

Post by malcscott » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:07 am

I tried using the Weller pyro pen with lots of re-work jelly. Totaly destroyed the ic, scraped the set, Malc :ccb

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Professional reflow workstations have a hot plate and IR heat lamps as well as the adjustable temp & flow heat gun with interchangeable heats.
painting with a BGA reflow flux first helps.

Lead free is a disaster.

Return to Testing Procedures, Tips & Techniques