It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:22 am

Screw dropped in a difficult to reach spot?

Screw dropped in a difficult to reach spot?

Post by crustytv » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Until now I've relied on a long thin screwdriver with either a blob of blu-Tak or wax from an old waxy cap. Today wandering through Wilkinson's I spied this handy little tool. At £1.79 I thought other VRAT's might fancy one. too.
t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: Screw dropped in a difficult to reach spot?

Post by Terrykc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Ever noticed how many of the nuts and washers in old sets are brass, Chris ...? 8))

Actually, I don't think I've owned a screw driver that hasn't become magnetised fairly quickly ...

I remember being a bit surprised the first time I went to get a blob of wax off a TCC 'waxy' to retrieve a recalcitrant brass nut, only to find that they'd replaced the wax with plastic!

I don't think they were around for long but they were identical except for the wax - they were also shiny!
Last edited by Terrykc on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by sideband » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Oh yes...the telescopic magnet. Excellent device but you still need the long screwdriver and Blu-Tak for brass screws etc.

Rich.

Post by crustytv » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm

You both must be able to afford more expensive sets than I or worked in the posh service departments. (only kidding :ninja: ) The majority of TV sets I've worked on have all used steel chassis screws.

I do appreciate though with both your extensive service backgrounds, you will have encountered far more varied sets across your bench than I, so I guess I've just seen the tip of the screw vista.

I was aware it would be useless with brass screws but as I say these have been in the minority for me so it seemed like a good by and at £1.79 a bargain.

Chris

Post by neil29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Ive got something not that different :=D that was if i remember right free with my practical classics magazine. and another freebie was a little mirror again along similar lines :thumbl: . cheers,Neil.

Post by Paul_RK » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I've had something similar for years, which I think was part of the contents of a tea chest of odds and ends (manuals, parts, test gear) at the local auction room, clearly the stock of a TV shop which judging from what was there closed not much later than 1965. It does get used in conjunction with Blu-Tack for retrieving non-magnetic bits too: not just brass nuts, bolts and washers, but guitar picks which once dropped into am acoustic guitar are surprisingly difficult to persuade to come out by themselves through the sound hole.

Now, if only they were a little broader, and a little longer, and had a retractable knuckled joint, and ideally an optional non-magnetic tip, I've a few radios that could suddenly be in a better state than they are ... :smile:

Paul

Location: due South of Selby, near the Pepperpots, house smells of two stroke.

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 pm

I've always used a small boy to get those lost doodads ... :D

Post by sideband » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 pm

I actually fabricated something like it way back in the Philips workshop days using a scrap telescopic aerial, a piece of 'fridge door magnet and some superglue.....

Yes Chris it's one of those indispensable items that finds it's way into almost everyday use...and yes most screws are steel but you can bet the first one you lose in the depths of a chassis will be brass...... :=D

Rich

Post by cobaltblue » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a couple of these I got from Poundland.

The trouble is at the moment the price escapes me :O

Cheers

Mike T

Post by Stitch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

I have one of these too (don't remember where i got it) I used it just tonight to retrive a washer from the cogs of a friends juke box, very handy :-)

Post by Refugee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 am

cobaltblue wrote:I have a couple of these I got from Poundland.

The trouble is at the moment the price escapes me :O

Cheers

Mike T

It would have cost you A QUID ::::)

Post by Mr. Twiddler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 am

For those brass screws, this is the answer.

Roger.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to Testing Procedures, Tips & Techniques