It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:22 am

Extending component leads

Extending component leads

Post by Alistair D » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Saw this over on the Goldbourne forum posts #4,5, & 7. It does look like a way of reliably adding length to component leads.

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum ... p?tid=3988

I have a simpler way of making the tool though. Take an Eclipse type pin vice and grind down the tops of2 of the 4 segments of the chuck. Grind down the inner edges of the the 2 remaining sections to accommodate the diameter of the added wire. Place the pin vice over the component lead and tighten the chuck enough to still allow free rotation of the pin vice. Using a pair of pliers hold the new piece of wire along side of the component lead. Push the pin vice onto the component lead and make sure the new wire sits between the 2 raised jaws of the vice. A few turns should produce the same results as the original tool.

I hope that all of that makes sense as I cannot draw to save myself.

One further advantage of this method is that I sometimes struggle to find High voltage electrolytic caps with wire terminations. This wiring method would be suitable for PCB mounted caps.

Al

Re: Extending component leads

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 pm

You are either not logged in or do not have permission to view this page

Post by sideband » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 am

You have to be a member to view some of their pages. I'm not so I get the same message.

Rich

Post by Refugee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:39 am

I do something nor unlike the pin chuck method. I put a single turn of new wire round a thin metal bar or drill bit and wind on as much as I need for both leads and cut the resulting coil in half with an old knife and a hammer. Side cutters are too chunky for this.

Golbourne have changed there hosting company and some tablet computers need a full reboot to pick up the new IP address. A browser restart was enough for me.

Post by Alistair D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49 am

Sorry everyone but it looks like this thread is a lost cause. I have tried downloading the images to my PC then reposting them but that does not work either.

The gist of the thread was to take a piece of 24swg wire and make a coil on the end of it that the component lead fit into the solder the joint. Both axial and radial component were shown. The last picture showed the tool used to make the coil.

Al

Post by Refugee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 am

Give your browser a restart and then try the link.
Some tablet or touch screen devices may need a full hard reboot.

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum ... p?tid=3988

Post by crustytv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:11 am

Almost all the photo's posted in threads at Golborne since inception require you to be a member to view, all you can mostly view are the thumbnails as a guest. I say mostly as there have been a few exceptions, perhaps its an option at post time that a member can make. All our photos and UKVRR's, are fully viewable by the general public, thus not forcing membership to view them.

This thread demonstrates and serves as an example http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum ... p?tid=3896 try clicking on the thumbnail images.

Anyway lets get this thread back to what it was really about, the tool rather than discussing other forums functionality! Without seeing the thread I can with reasonable confidence, assume the tool Alistair refers too in post #1 is the following :-

I have the tool in question (see below) and is used on virtually every restore I do. The device was built by Col ( Retired ) of UKVRRR who is also a Golborne member and was kindly gifted to me almost three years ago now.

The tool is not only good for extending short leads but when snipping out components from circuit. If you leave a small stub when snipping out a duff component you can form a coil on the new replacement to slip over the stub, thus forming a very good mechanical joint (see below).

Some manufacturers even did this type of connection and it is also recommended in Radio & Television Servicing volumes.

Winder_1.jpg

Winder_2.jpg

Mech_Joint.jpg
This photo shows the coils that are formed on the end of the leads that can be slipped over stubs. Equally this method can be used to extend component leads in the same manner.

Post by Stitch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am

I've seen you post this before Chris, it makes a very neat job :aap

I remember using a 'wire wrap' hand tool. You poked the wire in the end and then put it over a post and twisted. Not sure if this would work on a wire stub. Anyone else seen these or have one?

John

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 am

This method (wire coils) was used by Cossor in their pre-war sets and I've used it for years. Nothing so nice a tool used here though - it's a jeweller's screwdriver and fingers!

Post by Alistair D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 am

That is the tool I was referring to Chris. I will have a play around with a pin vice and report back with my results.

Al

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 am

I always knew it as a Philips joint - for obvious reasons!

Philips tended to use it where other manufacturers would have used a tag strip, but without any restriction on positioning so their mid-air joints could be anywhere convenient.

They were usually about 3 - 4mm in diameter.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:38 am

Stitch wrote:... I remember using a 'wire wrap' hand tool. You poked the wire in the end and then put it over a post and twisted. Not sure if this would work on a wire stub. Anyone else seen these or have one?

I've still got one - somewhere!

I don't think it's seen the light of day for well over 20 years, though!

Intended to fit over a post size 0.68 mm x 0.64 mm (diagonal 0.94 mm) but the wrapping wire is only 30AWG (0.4mm diameter).

This would be a bit thin for a component lead extension and the tool won't accept two thicker wires to make a proper Philips joint ...

Post by Alistair D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm

I have a wire wrap gun here but it is for 26AWG wire and 24 SWG is too thick. You can buy 24AWG kit but the prices for all wire wrap tools used to be astronomical.

I have had quite good success with my experiment. Not with a pin vice though. the ones I had here would not open far enough. Instead I found a miniature 3 jaw chuck from a Dremel type tool. Open up the chuck to the size that will take the diameter of the wrap. Put a right angle bend in the extension wire. Hold the wire onto the component lead. Slide the chuck over this so that the wire comes out between 2 of the chuck segments. Start rotating and hey presto. The wrap is tight enough that the wire will not move when the chuck is removed.
A couple of mods to the chuck would make it better.

A final thought; a Vero pin insertion tool could probably me modded to do the same.

Return to Testing Procedures, Tips & Techniques