It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

Soldering Components in Series

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

Soldering Components in Series

Post by valvekits » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Sometimes it is necessary to fit a couple of resistors in series because you don't have the correct value. I sometimes do it when I am trying to improve the resistor working voltage because the pd will be developed across both rather than just one of the correct value.
But how to join them?
Twist them together a bit neater than I have done in the photo? :oops:
Tin the ends and just solder them together?
Series resistors.jpg

When you want the job to look neat without any spikes for HV to jump off you might want to consider my method.
Obtain some 1/16 brass tubing from Hobbycraft or similar, the inner diameter is perfect for sliding the ends of your resistors into. Cut the length you desire with a dremel if you have one, if you don't , treat yourself they are invaluable.
Tin the ends of your resistors and push them into the tube, place your soldering iron on the tube and the solder will flow to make a perfect joint.
Resistors in series done.jpg

Eddie

Re: Soldering Components in Series

Post by Brianc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

That's a splendid idea Eddie - thanks. I have some of that tubing so I will use it in the future. It looks really neat.

Post by Pamphonica » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:30 am

Very neat. Thanks for posting the details.

By complete chance I was working inside a Levell TG150 audio sig gen today and noticed that they used a similar method to make up some of the resistors in the output attenuator from series pairs. They used those little brass through ferrules sometimes used to go through pcbs. Same very tidy idea. Much better than the twisty wires method.

Post by sideband » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am

That's a very neat idea :thumbl:

When working on some 1930's/40's radios I notice that some manufacturers (Philips being at least one) use little spirals of wire when joining two or more components together. It's a very neat way of making a 'mid-air' joint and I have made up similar replacements using tinned copper wire wound round piece of 3/16 rod.

I shall definately consider your alternative Eddie.

Rich.

Post by Michael Watterson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 am

:thumbl:

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations