It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

EL lighting

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

EL lighting

Post by Bluebottle » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:01 am

Can anyone tell me something about Electroluminecent panel lighting ? Can it for instance be used directly from an AC source at something like 90v 50 Hz
I can't find out much about it from the web, they all want to sell me some but
not tell me how to use it.............

Post by Michael Watterson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:17 am

It depends...

There is a vast variety of it from 200V panels that need DC only down to OLED needing a couple of volts which are not "real" LEDs at all but organic EL dots!

Buy off people that will tell you what it is.

One of the old Palm organisers used a EL backlight panel. Very very thin. I never heard of any that was AC.

What sort of size, colour and brightness do you need?

Post by rob t » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:46 am

Post by Alistair D » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 am

The EL panels used on H&H amplifiers from the 70s are powered directly from the mains.

Al

Post by Bluebottle » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

rob t, thanks for that it looks useful

alistair, I thought the H&H amps panels were powered from the mains via a 90v transformer tapping trouble is I didn't take any notes at the time LOL

Ivan, I was thinking of using it for a hifi amp front panel which will be in low ambient light .............

Post by BG405 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Ivan Indicator:2967 wrote:One of the old Palm organizers used a EL backlight panel. Very very thin
My little Psion 3c has one too - I remember seeing EL panels and drivers etc. in the catalogues, will have to look into it.

Brian

Post by Alistair D » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Just checked the schematic of my VS Bassamp. Definately wired directly to the mains.

Al

Post by Bluebottle » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks Alistair that is a step in the right dirction, I guess the next move is to obtain some EL sheet and try it. Conrad seem to stock some small ;pieces so I'll see what they can do next week ...........

Re: EL lighting

Post by span » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 am

Some the 'VERY' old apricot keyboards had a 40x2 character lcd built in to them and they had a electroluminescent panel in them driven by a very tiny inverter in the keyboard. Oh very old zenith XT class
laptops also had a el panel for the back light with the inverter in the screen i dont however have a clue what the drive voltages were.

Post by Mark Hennessy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 am

Yes, I've got an LCD panel from an old monochrome Compaq "portable" PC, and that uses EL. There is a simple 2-transistor inverter, generating 200-300 volts AC. I've only ever heard of them running from AC, but don't know if that's down to convenience or some property of the EL sheet that requires AC drive. I suspect the former - AC being required to change voltage, and why rectify it if you don't need to?

It's been around a long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescence

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am

They are short lived on DC. The panel decomposes!
Same with LCD will work on DC, but quickly degrades.

Post by Mark Hennessy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks - I knew that to be the case for LCD, but have never investigated EL in any detail. I must admit that I frequently think about what to do with my Compaq backlight - the favourite plan is an illuminated door sign, just for the "geek cool" effect...

Post by Rebel Rafter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi, RR here, I remember those H&H amplifiers, the one with the fancy turquoise EL panel was an MA100, the panel was powered from the mains, I know 'cos I used to repair them. Other models might've had EL's too. The MA100 had a fancy protection circuit in the o/p stage that worked really well, one of those I used to repair, usually after gigs after it had a good battering, never suffered an o/p failure, just about everything else in it got blown up but never the o/p stage, that survived everything that hit it, proper sound British kit. RR.

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations