It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 am

Posting pictures

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

Posting pictures

Post by sideband » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:35 pm

unclereggie wrote:Oh, I always do take (too many) photographs. I just meant is it worth posting here? -

It is much easier if you post pictures in with your posting. Otherwise we have to keep dodging between here and the pictures and it's difficult to follow what's going on.

Have a look here (section 3. about half way down) for an explanation of posting pictures and keeping the file size below 80k.

Rich

Re: Ferguson 384U

Post by unclereggie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi. Thanks. Point taken. The software you highlighted is not for Mac (which I use) and I don't have any photoediting software. So I have to rely on the image size of my phone or at the very least a posted photo via a link to the page (as above). I'll see what I can do in future. It's not about not following forum ettiquette (which I have read) it's more about me not being able to do much else right now. :sad:

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Get the Gimp for Mac OS.

You can't sensibly use "standard" apple photo sizes and any practical use of a camera needs cropping, gamma and resizing as well as JPEG level adjustment. Gimp is free and worth learning.

Post by Refugee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Is there no free software at all for the Mac?
I do have a copy of The Gimp. I have used it to recover photos that have been taken on out of date film in the past.
I use Gwenview as it loads more quickly and has enough functionality for most web posting where several photos can be taken and no enhancing functions are needed.

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Gimp is available for Mac, Linux and Windows and free. The recent versions are very good. Obviously you need to download the correct version.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Post by Refugee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:16 pm

:idea: There may be some value in setting up a "sticky" thread about getting photo editing software.

Post by CTV » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm

8)) I don't think so Ref, there is already a large sticky FAQ that contains info about image editing and packages available, that is more than adequate. It has been there for some considerable time.

I draw yours and others attention to section 3 here

I can always add other recommended packages to the existing sticky but to be honest people can just google for free image software.

Re: Posting pictures

Post by sideband » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 pm

I've split this from the Ferguson 384 thread as I thought it would be better as a subject on it's own

Rich

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations