It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Paint to give Bakelite finish?

Paint to give Bakelite finish?

Post by davegsm82 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm busy making a cabinet for a little project, I'd like it to have a nice bakelite finish, similar to a DAC90 if possible, however this will be on sanded down MDF.

Any suggestions?

Dave.

Re: Paint to give Bakelite finish?

Post by Briancuff » Tue May 21, 2013 5:50 pm

I've never tried it but I seen a description of a method using several different shades of brown paint. Spray on thin coats of the different colours, letting them dry thoroughly between each coat, even spraying the same colour twice, with a different colour between them, and then, using very fine wet & dry (eg 1200 grit) rub away the upper layers in a random fashion. This gives the marbling effect of Bakelite.

Post by davegsm82 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your advice, although I was wondering, what kind of paint should I use?

I'm a complete novice so really, paint could mean anything from Automotive spray to garden gate hammerite!

I have some MDF to experiment on before letting loose on my 'creation' :=D

I hope that whatever paint I use will sort of 'leech' into the MDF, as unfortunately there is some fairly fine detail on my piece and it appears that it is easily damaged, a simple knock can take off a whole chunk.

Dave.

Post by Briancuff » Wed May 29, 2013 1:59 pm

I would try acrylic paint, Dave. There is a huge range of colours to play with. The leaching into the MDF is an advantage because you have then a background colour to work down to. However, I would have thought that if your project is complicated, it will be quite difficult to use wet & dry on it!

Post by davegsm82 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:55 am

Would that be Acrylic Spray paint or something like artists paint?

As for getting the paint into the MDF, i hope it does this to provide a little mechanical strength, I've even considered giving the whole thing a thin coat of watered down PVA glue, however i'm not sure how well the paint would take to this.

Dave.

Post by crustytv » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 am

I've repaired Bakelite and as Brian has said used Acrylic paints to match the finish. As example here is the classic chip on a Bush DAC90A, just below the dial (see below). I used a combination of browns and terracotta mixes.

I would imagine a similar combination would yield the result you require but on a larger scale.

Good luck look forward to seeing the results.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Post by Briancuff » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 am

The spray cans are ideal for large areas but for fine touching-up, that artists' type is good. Till uses the latter to create grain figuring on veneers he has applied in order to match existing bits - see the thread on the wreck of a pre-war HMV 900 set from NVFC here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3531&p=37221&hilit=900#p37221

Return to Testing Procedures, Tips & Techniques