It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 am

Glue That Never Dries Out Hard

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

Glue That Never Dries Out Hard

Post by Wage Slave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 am

The question is prompted by an ipod classic repair I'm doing. The battery and HDD buffers are secured using this type of glue. It holds firmly but it can always be taken apart again if needed as it always remains a kind of gel. I think it is the same stuff as used on Post It notes and to glue things like DVDs to magazine covers.

Is it available or what do people use to substitute for it?

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: Glue That Never Dries Out Hard

Post by Terrykc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am

I've always thought that the stuff used to attach DVDs to magazines and credit cards to paper is nothing other than a dab of silicon rubber as used as a bath sealant, etc.

Post by Refugee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am

It is the grade of silicon rubber that is important here. The PCB needs to be treated so that it does not react with the copper tracks while it is setting.
The closest product that is easy to get is sold as non corrosive silicon rubber. It is not as easy to clean off as the stuff they use to stick credit cards to paper.
You could ask at a printers and see if they can give you a lead.

Post by Wage Slave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:34 am

Terrykc wrote:I've always thought that the stuff used to attach DVDs to magazines and credit cards to paper is nothing other than a dab of silicon rubber as used as a bath sealant, etc.

I don't think it is quite the same stuff. It has that quality of never drying out so it can always bw taken off without damaging surfaces.

Post by Wage Slave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 am

Refugee wrote:It is the grade of silicon rubber that is important here. The PCB needs to be treated so that it does not react with the copper tracks while it is setting.
The closest product that is easy to get is sold as non corrosive silicon rubber. It is not as easy to clean off as the stuff they use to stick credit cards to paper.
You could ask at a printers and see if they can give you a lead.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. Yes, the type of stuff used to stick credit cards to paper is exactly the sort of stuff I mean.

Post by Wage Slave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:58 pm

That's it Jeff. "Low Tack" are the magic words that were were eluding me. That's exactly the property I need.

Now off to search Amazon Japan via Google translate. I can't get stuck into the job unfortunately as I'm waiting for a new HDD and battery to arrive from Hong Kong.

Post by Wage Slave » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm

So just in case anyone else wonders in the event the replacement battery came with 3M adhesive already attached. Just a matter of peeling off the brown paper and placing it in position. I wish people on ebay would tell us these things.

Anyway, I discovered that glue dots have yet to arrive on these shores and had some sent from Blighty. In the event not needed but still nice to have.

The repair worked flawlessly. A very easy one once you have managed to crack the case open - No soldering or tricky screws at all.

Post by KeithW » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:47 am

For many years Cow Gum was used for just this particular kind of thing. Artists used it for temporarily mounting artwork and graphics for display. It has now been replaced by Studio Gum. The gum was actually named after a Mr Cow who invented it, it contained no animal products :)

Keith

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Post by Wage Slave » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Since my original post I have been plagued with Ipod touch repairs/battery replacements. The glue they use is 3M VHB tape and it is sometimes important to use exactly that as is it very thin physically and it is strong but softens with the application of heat. As Apple have taken to gluing their products together you can't get some of them re-assembled properly or opened again if you use the wrong glue. It is available both in sheet form and pre-cut from a number of sources. One of them is:

http://www.appleipodparts.com/gbu0-prodshow/ipod-spare-parts-ipod-iphone-3m-vhb-adhesive-tape.html

A bit more information from 3M here:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/3M-VHB-Tape/

It looks like it's being used to fasten quite a few things - I can't say I'm very chuffed.

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations