It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 am

cut a hole for an iec socket

Hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration

cut a hole for an iec socket

Post by rob t » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:44 pm

I would like to change the round bulging socket on my leak stereo 20 amp with an IEC socket.
I looked every where for a chassis punch but the prices are horrendous .
So how do you guys go about cutting these holes (in steel)?
rob T

Re: cut a hole for an iec socket

Post by boyblue » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi Rob, I,ve got a 3 pin Bulgin plug (the bit that goes on the mains lead) that may save you altering your Leak. Only problem is its missing one pin, Female part, though the terminal bit inside is present. Your welcome to it. Write up and pics of QFM coming soon !.

Peter

Post by Brianc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Mark it out carefully and drill holes in each corner, the diameter to suit the radius of the connector corners and then chain drill the straight bits to remove the "core" and clean it up with a file. Fortunately, the connector will have a flange which will cover any slight errors in the hole. It shouldn't take that long and, as you say, the cutters are extremely expensive!
Good luck.

Post by rob t » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:43 pm

boyblue wrote:Hi Rob, I,ve got a 3 pin Bulgin plug (the bit that goes on the mains lead) that may save you altering your Leak. Only problem is its missing one pin, Female part, though the terminal bit inside is present. Your welcome to it. Write up and pics of QFM coming soon !.

Peter

thanks for the kind offer but the idea is to be able to swap amps with ease ,at least between the stereo 20 and the icon audio.
Rob T

Post by Refugee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:45 pm

It is well worth buying a nice new sharp file for a job like that or better a selection of round and square files.
I have also seen a round Builgin plug with a missing pin in one of my boxes of parts too.

Post by Valvebloke » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I believe that if you look hard enough there is a compact IEC chassis plug available which is small enough to pass through the hole that the Bulgin plug currently occupies. This will save you cutting your Stereo 20 about. It's your amp of course, I just wanted you to be aware that cutting it will lower its resale value (probably only a little, to be fair) and that there is an IEC option which obviates the need to do that.

I'd love to be able to tell you where to buy such a socket from, but I don't know I'm afraid. ISTR that it was discussed over on UKVRRR a while back and perhaps that Nickthedentist was involved in the discussion.

VB

Post by Valvebloke » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:27 pm

ppppenguin wrote:I think I supplied Nick with an IEC inlet like that. The mounting holes are above and below the pins rather than each side ...

Ah, OK, so it's not just a fantasy on my part then. I was wondering if there might be a push-fit one which could save the drilling of holes (or even one with the holes on the same centres as the Bulgin !). But I guess yours looked something like 42-156 here http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/42-15 ... Male-panel perhaps. These are made, coincidentally, by Bulgin !

VB

Post by Refugee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 pm

I have seen IEC inlets that push into the panel that are only a very small bit bigger that the end of the cable.
You would have to make up a plate drilled to fit the existing holes and would give an easily reversible solution.
I think Farnell do them.
The third from the left in the link above looks like what I was thinking of.

Post by Niall » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Plate over the socket hole, fit cable entry and short tail with cable mount IEC male which are readily available.

Post by rob t » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Niall wrote:Plate over the socket hole, fit cable entry and short tail with cable mount IEC male which are readily available.

That may be the way to go easy to reverse
Rob T

Post by rob t » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:09 pm

oh well decided just to make an adapter lead.(see pic)
I have just bought another stereo 20 for which I will start another thread.
Rob T
Attachments
lead.jpg

Return to Tips, Solutions & Recommendations