It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Making A New Tuning Dial

Making A New Tuning Dial

Post by Sparks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:15 pm

At present, I am restoring a GEC BC1452 four-valve battery portable. The tuning dial was in a bit of a mess, so I decided to make another. I scanned the damaged dial and printed it as large as I could on an A4 card. I cut the shape out and placed it on a fresh sheet of A4 and drew round the outside with a drawing pen. I then marked the centre and drew two circles bounding the outer and inner edges of the red segments. Next I divided the segments up in accordance with the originals with the drawing pen. I made all the lettering on the computer and printed it onto self-adhesive clear sheet. This I cut out and stuck on the large dial in the appropriate positions. After scanning the large dial, I filled in the sectors using the colour bucket with red where required, and erased the continuation of the two circles between the segments using Adobe Photoshop. The whole thing was scanned again and inserted into a Microsoft Word document on which I displayed a grid 2.64 inches across and 2.64 inches high. This is the required size of the new dial. The image was then slid into the square and adjusted to fit it perfectly. Then I printed it out the correct size onto a sheet of clear self-adhesive film. This was stuck onto a piece of gold card, and cut out. It doesn’t matter that the capacitor spindle hole and the holes for the fixing bolts are a bit ragged, because they will be hidden by the central cover shown in the images. This method could quite easily be used to make a new transparent tuning window for larger receivers, as long as you know where the lettering is. It was not a complicated procedure, but passed a morning where I did not feel like doing anything technical!
Attachments
Original dial (Medium).JPG
Original damaged dial
Dial complete (Medium).JPG
New dial completed
Dial and centre (Medium).JPG
New dial and original plastic centre

Re: Making A New Tuning Dial

Post by boyblue » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Nice job Sparks, can I make a suggestion? Cutting holes in cardboard always leaves ragged hole. If you have a pillar drill, grind the shank (the blunt end) square, put in the chuck point down. Put a piece of ally or the like in the drill vice. Drill a hole in the ally without moving the vice. reverse the drill in the chuck and use the square ground end as a punch into the hole in the ally. I used this method to cut a 1.5 mm in photo paper that I used to make a watch dial using photoshop. I know your dial holes wont show but its a neat way around a tricky problem.
Peter
Attachments
IMG_2936[1].JPG

Post by Sparks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Peter,
Many thanks for that tip. I do have a drill press and know exactly what you mean, although it never occurred to me in the past. I often need to cut sharp round holes and it can be a problem. I do have a several sheet metal punches of the screw up type, but the smallest is for a B7G valve-holder. It sounds like a brilliant way of making sharp holes.
Bob

Post by Sparks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Further to the above. I just looked in my drill box and found one with a flat end and tried it out - works a treat :aad
Thanks again
Bob

Return to Testing Procedures, Tips & Techniques