It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Video Rack.

Video Rack.

Post by Doz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Lost my rag (finally) with the set-up in my workshop for doing tellys.

There's an aerial feed coming into the workshop from the house distribution system, and this carries the usual freeview MUX's, a CH 36 analogue signal from my CCTV system, and SKY on CH 69.

This has usually fed a Humax F2-FOXT freeview box, and then usually lashed up to the Aurora, possibly with a DVD player attached. It's all a bit of a mess, so I've built myself a little rack...

20150109_160559 (Mobile).JPG
20150109_160612 (Mobile).JPG
20150109_160626 (Mobile).JPG

The aerial comes in on the top Belling Lee, and feeds the bottom freeview box. It's output is on CH60. The RF then goes to the second freeview box, who's output is on ch 55, this is then fed to the VHF/UHF modulator , which is set to UHF on CH50. The output from the aurora is set to CH1, and is fed to a variable attenuator, and then through a low pass filter, centered on ~65MHz. This RF is then combined with the UHF and fed to the lower Belling Lee.

The video to the Aurora can be switched by the top wafer switch to Nothing (Test card C), the auxiliary sockets on the front panel, the DVD player or either freeview box. The video to the UHF modulator can be switched between the DVD or the Aux input.

I don't seem to be getting any patterning or crosstalk. More luck than judgement I suspect! I was expecting to have to play with the RF channel spacing a little.

Much neater!

Re: Video Rack.

Post by Doz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:44 pm

ppppenguin wrote:Nice neat job. Couple of concerns.

1: How do you get the remotes for the different freeview boxes not to talk to the wrong box? WIth different makes of boxes they often don't (as I found at the Museum's installation) but that was good luck. With 2 identical boxes there's the fun of holding your hand over the sensor of one of the boxes in order to operate the other. Or possibly going in very close with the remote.

2: Freeview boxes get quite warm and there are 3 of them tucked quite close together. Does your rig get hot?

1) They're left permanently set, but front panel controls are available for channel + and -. It's what I had.
2) There are only 2, the other is a DVD player. There's a good 15mm gap between the freeview boxes and the DVD player. The back's open and it's not going to be running for hours and hours.

Post by Doz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:34 am

Post by marc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Doz,

Handy bit of kit,
I've been using one for the last year to run my laptop to the Aurora, though it does look odd seeing Windows 8.1 on a 1950's set :aaq :bba

Marc.

Return to General Work Shop Discussion