It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 am

BRC Engineer Kit

BRC Engineer Kit

Post by crustytv » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I've posted before that I have an official BRC service engineers case. Full of NOS panels, and parts etc to maintain 3000/3500 chassis sets. What was missing though were the extension lead kit for the PSU and LTB modules and the diagnostic test devices. As luck would have it these turned up on e-bay last week, I decided I was going to get them come what may but luckily for once I got an absolute bargain of a bid.

Just wondering if any of the old BRC/Thorn guys such as John ( jayceebee) ever came across or used the CPV unit which covers the 2000,3000,3500,4000,8000 & 8500 or the 3000/3500 test unit. The extension leads will allow me to operate the panels in circuit but out on the bench.

The 3000/35000 test unit is to diagnose the supplies rails, the CPV unit, the line collector peak volts

Another really nice coincidence is where it was supplied from, Old Shoreham Road in Brighton. I was born in Brighton, lived there for 44 years until 2007, I travelled that road many times.

brc-1.jpg

brc-2.jpg

brc-3.jpg

tunit.jpg

brc-5.jpg

Re: BRC Engineer Kit

Post by crustytv » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Test The Tester

I hooked out a spare unknown quantity 3000/3500 PSU from my store. Connected it to the BRC test unit and a working LTB module, powered up and the PSU rails are working fine. Tried another PSU module I had, that only had the 6.3V rail working.

I've got a HMV 3000 coming up to the bench soon, this will certainly help get a quick feel for the state of its PSU rails.

test1.jpg
6.3V, 30V and 58-65 all present. To test the 58-86V you do not need the LTB connected. You hook up the pulse connection test lead to the -ve of W608

test2.jpg

Post by jjl » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:03 pm

CrustyTV wrote:Another really nice coincidence is where it was supplied from, Old Shoreham Road in Brighton. I was born in Brighton, lived there for 44 years and travelled that road many times.

Chris

I lived in Brighton for quite a few years up to 2004. I used to travel along Old Shoreham Road every weekday when I worked in Worthing in the mid '80s.

John

Post by ntscuser » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Did any other makers produce a similar kit?

Post by linesync » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Rank made a service kit in a wooden case with carrying handle for the A823 chassis.
The kit contained all the circuit boards,tuner,speaker,tripler,front controls & cableform.
Price was £97.50 in 1972.
They also made a metal test rack with crt , this cost £156.

Post by Red_to_Black » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 pm

I think Philips did something similar with the G8 an G11 the service kit and the jig telly, plenty of other makers have made extension leads and socket type jigs to enable awkward insitu panels to be serviced, VCR mechanisms to be ran outside the case/main circuit board etc., servo jigs and the like for setting up VCRs.

There was a very similar idea to Chris's PSU jig in the OP fairly recently to cater for PSU panels of LCD and Plasma sets for checking key voltages, this was still being developed by Fawzi Ibrahim IIRC.

Most jigs like the one Chris has, were either model, chassis, or at best a specific range by a typical manufacturer, some of the Sony camcorder jigs spring to mind here.

Then there was Philips COMPAIR system, for which I will leave Rich to explain. :qq1 :cca

Post by ntscuser » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks both :aad

I guessed Philips probably produced one but the RBM one is a bit of a surprise.

Post by Jayceebee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Certainly remember the CPV unit Chris, it was issued to every engineer but I suspect very few used them in the field lazily relying on setting the HT for 60V at F603. We did have a set of extension leads but they were hardly used, the test set I'd heard of but never seen one in the flesh until now.

The workshop 3000 jig gave us best access to both sides of the PSU and LTB boards, made of wood it wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but it was well thought out having a panel meter and rotary switch to check the output voltages. It also had a the ability to switch in extra load on the chopper transistor output using a couple of high wattage resistors to check the dynamic (overcurrent) trip operation.

Apart from Thorn 3000 and 8500 the only other manufacturers jig I saw was for the RBM A823. It looked the more professional design, also having a panel meter but in reality the way the boards were mounted in sliding runners it was rather flimsy. With the 3000 they were firmly locked in position meaning you could poke around with a meter or 'scope without having to hold the PCB in position using your other hand.

Happy days.

John

Post by Lloyd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 pm

That looks a very handy kit, especially the PSU tester!

I remember one of the guys at work telling me about a big old scary test rig for Thorn 3500's, apparently a CRT mounted up out the way with all the bits laid out in front, he said it used to make fizzing noises and was left on most of the day! I wonder if such a thing still exists in a long closed and forgotten TV repair shop?

Also, with regards to the COMPAIR system, I have a CD or DVD of something to do with it, not sure what, as I've never put it in the PC to find out! If it's of any interest I'll dig it out..

Regards,
Lloyd

Post by Jayceebee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Lloyd wrote:I remember one of the guys at work telling me about a big old scary test rig for Thorn 3500's, apparently a CRT mounted up out the way with all the bits laid out in front, he said it used to make fizzing noises and was left on most of the day!

That's the one, the 3500 was the deluxe version :bba .Ours backed on to the workshop window so quite often there was condensation around the final anode connector on cold mornings. :aac

John.

Post by Lloyd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Ooh, I bet that crackled a bit!

I'd love to have seen such a beast!

Regards,
Lloyd

Return to General Work Shop Discussion