It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 am

Axial electrolytics

Axial electrolytics

Post by Alistair D » Thu May 14, 2015 12:07 pm

I need a number of 480(470)uF 180V+ axial electrolytic caps to repair my Advance MG15-24 power supply. So far I have tried Cricklewood, RS, Farnell CPC, Ebay, Watford and Hot Rox all to no avail. Any suggestions of where else to try?

To explain further, there are 2 rows of 3 caps sandwiched between 2 PCBs. 2 cable ties go round the caps and through slots on a side runner to anchor the assembly so axials would better. I know I could re-stuff the originals but I don't really want to do that.

Al

Re: Axial electrolytics

Post by Briancuff » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Alistair
These guys have something which may suit:
http://www.ceitron.com/cart/advanced_se ... =1&x=8&y=8
About half way down the list.

Post by Valvebloke » Thu May 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Mouser have a very wide stock range indeed. They claim to have 275 different kinds of 470uF cap rated at 180V or above (I stopped at 500V). Not one of them is axial though. Unfortunately the requirement for axial geometry turns a trivial search into a Herculean one. Could you accept a radial and turn one of the leads, suitably insulated of course, back down the outside of the can, extending if necessary to reach the pcb at the other end ? Do you need the capacitor leads to act as mechanical supports for the pcb (bad practice IMHO, but I have seen it) ? If so then mounting some of the caps one way up and some the other might help with this.

VB

Post by Alistair D » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks for the link Brian I will have a look at that.

I have attached a picture of the assembly. Most of the ideas I've had about using radial caps either won't fit in or leave the capacitors with minimal support.

The Lower PCB in the picture contains the rectifiers and a few other components. It is attached to the upper PCB by the caps and 2 threaded spacers. Neither PCB is attached to the frame anywhere. The whole assembly is held in place only by the cable ties.

Alas one of the capacitors has started oozing goo.

One final point, although there are 6 capacitors in the assembly electrically they form 2 capacitors of 1440uF in series with each other. This arrangement is part of the 120/240V switching circuit.

Mods: This thread can be moved to in the workshop as it is now about more than just finding a supplier. It will save every post having to be approved. Oh and could you add the missing o from the title. Like Ronnie Barker I need some Os. Thanks.

Al
Attachments
DSCN0051.JPG

Post by Cathovisor » Fri May 15, 2015 1:17 am

All done.

Post by Boater Sam » Fri May 15, 2015 8:07 am

I would expect that whatever you buy to replace these will be much smaller now.
As they are paralleled could you use less but larger values?
I think it would be easier to restuff; than at least the mechanical assembly would be the same, bad as it is.

Post by Dr Wobble » Fri May 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Audiocap do/used to do big axial F+T caps. Quick delivery and very good service and helpful. too.

Andy.

Just checked they don't have them but try giving Paul, (think thats his name) a ring. PPS, will check my stash.

Checked stash,sorry can't help. I then had a search ont net but found nothing- tried upping the voltage parameter to 350v which is more common than 200v ish.. You could try Rob (Crudmeister) on UKVRR; he's helped me in the past and has quite a stash of components.

I think the axial spec is your problem. You may need to use a modded radial cap in the end or up your capacitance value 2 x 2200uf or use caps in series. It's tricky as you know Al, finding modern caps to replace vintage caps. Good luck

Return to General Work Shop Discussion