It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Eprom programming

Eprom programming

Post by niall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 am

I recently acquired an eprom programmer (Elan E9C). It has a serial port, all that seems to be necessary is to dump the desired data down the serial line at the selected rate and format from a terminal emulator. I have a copy of the programmer manual which is available online:

http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/147.htm (Software listed is DOS which probably won't work under Windows)

Just wondering if anyone has a favorite terminal emulator or other software for doing this?

Using Windows 7 or 10.

Re: Eprom programming

Post by jjl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello Niall

I'd use PuTTY, available here

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

We had an Elan E9 at my first proper job, this would be in 1984. I wrote a program to run on our Tektronix Unix box that allowed the EPROM programmer to be remotely controlled, devices programmed in bulk etc. On the strength of this, I arranged an interview at Elan when they were based in Crawley and was offered a job. However, I chose to work at a different firm, also in Crawley, as I suspected that writing software for EPROM programmers would lose its appeal after a few months.

John

Post by niall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi John,

Interesting, I didn't pick up from the (fairly dire) manual that it was capable of more than straight back and forth data dumps.

Did you reverse engineer it, or is it inherent in some of the data formats it supports?

Post by jjl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Niall

The remote control commands etc. are detailed on the pages marked 33 to 37 in the manual, pages 35 to 39 in the PDF file. I definitely worked from this version of the manual, albeit a paper one; it still looks very familiar even after more than 30 years.

John

Post by niall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Ok, I see the remote commands now.

What I don't understand is how the file format works. For "ascii hex space" it says the block should start with ctrl A and ctrl B and end with ctrl C but also "all output formats are terminated with ctrl z". I understand ctrl A as hex 01, ctrl B as hex 02, ctrl c as hex 03 etc.

How does it distinguish between 03s in the data and the end of block marker?

Maybe I need to dump an eprom in the selected format and see what is sent to the PC, presumably the same format sent back would be correct.

Post by niall » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Thinking back many years to when I last did this sort of thing, I think I remember how it works. The data is the ascii representation of the numbers, not the numbers themselves, so anything which isn't the ascii code for 0-9, A-F, must be a control code.

Post by jjl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Niall

Yes, that's correct. Using ASCII encoding, CTRL-C would be a single character containing the hex number 3. "03" in a hexfile would be two characters; in hex 30 and 33.

John

Return to General Work Shop Discussion