It is currently Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am

De-soldering "gun"

De-soldering "gun"

Post by Dr Wobble » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I've been after a de-soldering device for a while. I can't afford a de-soldering station at £100+ so bought a heated solder sucker the other day for £6 ish. I'm quite pleased with it. It deals with IC's well, same goes for transistor's. you don't really need the sucker part for caps etc. The suction is better than on a non heated sucker, mind you mine is a bit old, so may not be the best.

The only down side to it is it does get a bit uncomfortable when de soldering for a length of time as it's very hot. Got a bit fed up with having to keep pressing the plunger, but apart from that I'd recommend it to anyone. It only has one size of nozzle BTW.

bog 001.jpg
Dave the de-soldering device at work.

Re: De-soldering "gun"

Post by Niall » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Good to know as I ordered one of those the other day after struggling to remove modules from an RT351 Clansman set with my iron and sucker.

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I remember buying one of those about thirty years ago, and very useful it proved to be. I have a couple of the Weller vacuum sets now, but I still keep my little soldering iron one for old time's sake :)

Post by Rebel Rafter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:51 pm

hi, folks, RR here. For those not used to it, a word of caution about desoldering components from boards with plated through holes, or PTH, with component leads or pins in PCB holes which are plated through from one side of the board to the other you must get the pin(s) or lead(s) totally free and loose first, don't do what I learned the hard way not to do and try heating the pin or lead with the iron and pulling it out as this almost always pulls out the through hole plating with the lead or pin and once it's out you can't put it back in and this can sometimes ruin the board. Also for desoldering components on PTH boards you will need a slightly more powerful iron, about 40 watt or more. I have an Antex XS 25 watt model and I've found it to be inadequate for removing almost anything from PTH boards. I've never tried using a combined iron and sucker so I can't really comment on them, one of those might be ok for PTH desoldering if it's of high enough wattage and with the right type of tip on the end. RR.

Post by Niall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:01 am

It has a big advantage when dealing with big pads, earth planes, screening cans and the like because you activate the sucker while the bit is still in contact with the pad. With a separate iron and sucker and a big area of metal as soon as you withdraw the iron to put the sucker on the heat is drawn away and the solder sets.

It got the screening can off the 351 module albeit with assistance from the bench iron. (but it appears the problem is not with the varicap I suspected.)

Return to General Work Shop Discussion