It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Components from Taiwan, China and Hong Kong

Components from Taiwan, China and Hong Kong

Post by Sparks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Wondering what your experiences of buying from these countries are? I have purchased components from Hong Kong, and found them very good value, provided I have been happy with the two-week wait. Yesterday, after purchasing a small SD card, I was a bit "put out" to find the seller was in Taiwan, and wonder how long it will take? The price was very good though! This morning, I thought I would test the situation a bit more. I wanted some small EI-19 audio transformers, and found that the UK suppliers were either sold out, or far too expensive. I ordered four from Taiwan for £9.31 (including postage), which is actually less than I paid when the UK supplier had them in stock! The SD card was listed as "posted" this morning!
Bob

Re: Components from Taiwan, China and Hong Kong

Post by rob t » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:17 pm

the quickest i have received goods from china was 7 days the longest was 28 days
Rob T

Post by Sparks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:36 pm

The items I got from Hong Kong took about 10 to 14 days. The transformers ordered earlier today were marked as despatched before noon. I will let you know how long they take to arrive.
Bob

Post by Refugee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 am

It is possible to do a ball park estimate of shipping times from China.
First google the location the goods are to be sent from and estimate the distance to the border with the EU.
Post trains travel little more than 100 miles on a good day in China on there 100 year old tracks and the distance can be as long as 2000 miles or more.
They do have posh passenger trains but freight is not allowed to mix with them and it will most likely end up on old lines.
4 weeks will be about right for a location in the east side of China.

Post by ken » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:43 am

I ordered stuff from Banggood in China before Christmas last year and it took 5 weeks to arrived. However, I ordered again during the summer and this time it took two weeks. Perhaps the time of year has an effect. I ordered stuff from another Chinese supplier yesterday so I'll see how long it takes this time. I would saay that every thing I have sent for has been in my view of good quality and value.

Regards,

Ken.

Post by Sparks » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 am

Thanks for replies. Most of the time, I am not really in a hurry for items, so as long as I do get them eventually it is OK. With the small transformers, UK sources were either all sold out, or far too expensive. I still have two left, so I may well turn one of them into a "plug in" type so I can use it in more than one "homebrew" radio projects!
Bob

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:57 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason postage charges are so low from China is that a lot of this stuff is used as space fillers in other consignments and the time it takes for them to arrive largely depends on the availability of suitable space.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know - presumably it would only work with air freight as I imagine that sea going container traffic from China would take a very long time ...

Post by Valvebloke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am

I ordered two 6EM7's from Hong Kong* on Friday 13th. They were dispatched on Saturday 14th and, according to the tracking site, left Hong Kong territory on Monday 16th. Royal Mail delivered them to me yesterday (Wednesday 25th). I did pay $US10.00 for P&P though, which is a good deal more than some of the minimal charges I've seen on small items from the rest of China.

VB

*From WiWi Tubes, who do have very impressive stocks of new-in-box vintage valves as long as price isn't a big concern.

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Terrykc wrote:....... I imagine that sea going container traffic from China would take a very long time ...

Major retailers in the UK place their orders for Christmas goods around May to June - container freight has a notoriously long lea time.. It's one reason why you don't get many illegal immigrants coming in that way.

Post by crackle » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:36 am

I have recently bought components from China, the postage cost is almost non existent and must be subsidised in some way. The delivery is normally about 2 weeks and I usually forget I am expecting them, and then get a surprise when they arrive.
On one occasion they sent the components which were manufactured wrong. The capacitors off value by sufficient to make be believe they were labelled incorrectly. They were replaced with out any quibble.
I have just received 2x 8 ohm 100 watt power resistors but they are little bigger than the 50 watt resistors I bought from Farnell a little while ago. I am waiting for a reply to confirm the spec.

Mike

Post by jskinner97 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:15 am

I've got stuff from china aswell and it's usually pretty quick for me. However you always have to wonder what you're buying if it's so cheap. These chinese components are in all modern electronics hence they don't last, but then reputable stockists like RS and Farnell probably stock the same stuff to be fair...

Post by Sparks » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:44 am

My problem was that the transformers I wanted are out of stock in UK suppliers, so I ordered four from Taiwan more as a test of the system as much as anything else. I don't mind the wait, and they were probably made out there anyway!
Bob

Post by marc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I've been buying from 'worldwide' via eBay for a long time now with my latest capacitor order arriving this morning from Hong Kong only 9 days from being placed.
Price's are so low too and often with free delivery, a few weeks ago I bought 100 X BC557 Transistors for £1.08 inc P&P ! :ccf they arrived from China 12 days after purchase.

I've only ever had one problem whereby one batch of caps from China hadn't arrived after 6 weeks, I contacted the seller and 6 days later a replacement batch arrived but post marked Belgium !

All in all I reckon the average delivery time is around 2 to 3 weeks for the majority of orders I've placed so can't complain especially with the price's and normally free postage.

Marc.

Post by mark pirate » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:13 pm

I have been impressed by the cost & quality of components from china, like others, two weeks delivery seems to be the ballpark.
I have bought some neat little panels having both an FM radio, USB & TF card slot MP3 player, it also has bluetooth, aux input jack, led display and a full remote control :bba
All for about £3.60 inc postage! I intend to fit one to my Bush stereogram, all that is needed is a 5vdc supply.
I have tested it with a spare mobile phone charger, and am very impressed with it's performance :aad

Post by Sparks » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 pm

The small transformers that I ordered from Taiwan on the 25th November last, arrived a few minutes ago (1st Dec,. at 1330gmt). That was very good going - 6 days from Taiwan!
Bob

Post by Refugee » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm

I have in the past bought items from China that are shipped with a wall wart and mains lead.
The mains leads often have an un-fused 13A plug on them :elc:

Post by Doz » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

The only issues I have had , other than variable delivery times, are fake components. Transistors which fail to perform normally. Unobtainium stuff, which is usually "something else" with the unobtainium number stamped on them (and done in the correct font , manufacturer logo etc) . Although this problem isn't just with eBay stuff. The ubiquitous 2N3055 for example. I currently have a UK supplier investigating their supply chain after I had numerous failures. I cut the tops off the transistors to reveal a very undersized chip inside, compared with examples I have ordered from the same supplier previously. I've also seen other examples on the net with two chips wired in parrallel! Caveat Emptor.

Thankfully these occurrences are rare.

Return to General Work Shop Discussion