It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Workshop PC story...

Valves, Transistors, IC's and Components. Bench test techniques, Test Gear - Valve Testers, Scopes, CRT Testers, Bridges, Sig Gens, Pattern Gens, Workshop tours etc

Workshop PC story...

Post by Jamie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 pm

A neighbor of mine threw away a load of electrical items, he just sat them in the garden for well over a year... Me being me, I took the lot and attempted to repair a lot of it. One of the things thrown was a 1998 'TinyPC' a name long gone in it's off-white case.

It was rusted up inside, and some caps showed their insides to me! I thought, for a laugh i'd replace them and see if I can get this going (didn't expect anything of course).
Would you believe it, after a re-cap it worked! After a hard drive failure on my new workshop PC i'm now typing this message on the TinyPC. I managed to get Windows XP to run reasonably well on it, and the funny thing is it keeps up with 2016 computing reasonably well. I'm running Seamonkey as the browser, as it's the lightest browser I know (based on firefox but without the memory leaks!) and plus google chrome and Opera wouldnt even install on it!

Obviously I cant watch HD movies etc, but it will view youtube given some patience and managed facebook just fine.

And now... Here's the specs. Yes that is a 6GB Hard Drive!! I'll leave it to you to reply with your opinions :bba

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: Workshop PC story...

Post by Terrykc » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:25 pm

That's an excellent result, Jamie!

Thanks for that screen shot - I've downloaded that Piriform Speccy utilty - it looks very useful.

A word of warning, if you intend upgrading that 6GB hard drive or adding a second drive.

I remember buying a 40GB drive for our first PC, which only had a 4GB drive (and Windows 95!).

I found that the mother board (or the BIOS or something) limited the Hard Drive size to 32GB - I have a vague memory of installing a patch provided by the drive manufacturer to get it to work.

I was really glad I hadn't bought the 80GB drive I'd also considered - drives weren't 'as cheap as chips' in those days!

Unfortunately I disposed of the PC a long time ago - if I still had it, the memory modules might have been useful to you. However, if you post details of the memory modules, I'm sure someone will have some kicking around!

Post by sideband » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:28 pm

That is a positively humungous amount of storage compared to the 286 that was my first PC. That had a massive 20 meg hard drive which, at the time was thought to be ample. I then doubled the capacity to a staggering 40 meg using a compression program...... :aad

Mind you, that was in the days of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.0

Post by Cathovisor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Main thing is, it works so one less thing for the WEEE skip. And from my experience, having an MSI motherboard is good news as they have never let me down (unlike some).

Not seen the Piriform analyser before (although I've used their CCleaner with extreme caution before!); I usually use CPU-Z for that job.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Cathovisor wrote:Not seen the Piriform analyser before (although I've used their CCleaner with extreme caution before!); I usually use CPU-Z for that job.
Like you, I don't allow Crap Cleaner to run riot and I've also used CPU-Z but the Piriform utility covers a much wider scope, even including data from all the available WiFi sources available!

Post by Cathovisor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Just downloaded and installed 'Speccy'.

Now uninstalling CPU-Z.

Post by raditechman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Tiny computers, I remember their shops, like TV rentals shops, now all gone.

A good program for your computer information is Berlac Advisor. It is free for personal use and I think gives more information that Piriform speccy.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

John

Post by sideband » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:00 pm

raditechman wrote:
A good program for your computer information is Belarc Advisor.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Yes I've used that for a number of years. Gives a lot of information including installation dates and versions of drivers.

Return to In The Workshop