It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Variable capacitor restoration.

Valves, Transistors, IC's and Components. Bench test techniques, Test Gear - Valve Testers, Scopes, CRT Testers, Bridges, Sig Gens, Pattern Gens, Workshop tours etc

Variable capacitor restoration.

Post by Sparks » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:14 pm

1 Before (Medium).JPG
Before restoration
2 Pieces ready for cleaninh (Medium).JPG
Dismantled and ready for cleaning and re-spray
3 Pieces Ready to re-assemble (Medium).JPG
Cleaned and ready for re-assembly
4 Restored (Medium).JPG
Re-assembled
Here is an ancient three-gang variable capacitor that I restored yesterday and today. I have no idea what it came from, but assume it was probably some type of military receiver as it is very heavy and strongly built. It weighs in at just over one kilo. It was constructed so it could be taken to pieces. I did this, and cleaned all the various parts, re-sprayed the frame, and re-assembled it. It made a change from radio work, and I am very pleased with the result.
Bob

Re: Variable capacitor restoration.

Post by Tech12 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Nice job, looks like new :aad

Post by crackle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 am

It was great that some of these things were made in such a way that they can be taken apart and made to like like new again.
Excellent job Bob.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi, from RR. I had a VC a bit like that one once, I had no idea it would one day be a bit more valuable, like a lot of other stuff I once had and got rid of as I could no longer find any use for it. I don't think I would have the patience to strip that thing, it looks great, good job, what did you use to clean the vanes? did you manage to clean in between the vanes? I've got a book somewhere called something like "electronic classics" or something similar, it was published in the early days of the internet and it shows all sorts of restoration methods for old stuff like that, as well as various suppliers, some of whom are still going, others not. RR.

Post by Sparks » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks,
The outside of the vanes I cleaned with brasso. I made a simple cleaning pad to clean between them. I took a strip of self-adhesive green felt, and folded it round a piece of thin card. This fitted between the vanes, and cleaned it very well. For the brass shaft between the vanes, I put the shaft end in a vice. Wrapped a length of thick string soaked in brasso, around the shaft, (two turns) and dragged it back and forward to clean it up. The main frame was sprayed with matt primer aerosol obtained from Halfords. It didn't take very long, maybe five minutes to take it apart. Half an hour to clean it all up. Then, after paint was dry, another five minutes of so to re-assemble it!
Once the retaining plates were unscrewed from the ends, the moving vanes slid out diagonally.
Bob

Return to In The Workshop