It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 am

Wireless World article from 1939 on component failure

Valves, Transistors, IC's and Components. Bench test techniques, Test Gear - Valve Testers, Scopes, CRT Testers, Bridges, Sig Gens, Pattern Gens, Workshop tours etc

Wireless World article from 1939 on component failure

Post by crackle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 am

It seems in 1939 they were very clued up about component failure, even more relevant now to the vintage wireless repairer.
Attachments
WW Why components fail1.png
WW Why components fail2.png
WW Why components fail3.png

Re: Wireless World article from 1939 on component failure

Post by Doz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:35 am

Any chance of emailing me a copy of this in better resolution? Would like to show the apprentices.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:30 pm

The copies that Mike has posted should be of sufficient resolution - perhaps you are not viewing them correctly?

Left click on the thumbnail to expand it and note that the cursor changes to a '+' sign. Left click again to expand it to its full size, then right click and make your choice from the menu that appears.

I would choose 'Copy image' and paste it into MS Paint to print it.

Mike: have you got scans of the full issues? If so, I'm sure http://www.americanradiohistory.com/ would appreciate them to help fill some of the gaps in their excellent archive.

Unfortunately they have no issues for 1939 - I was going to take a peek at the solutions to Henry Farrad's problem solutions!

Post by crackle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi Doz
If you need it larger than the ones I uploaded (when viewed full size) then please PM your email address.

Terry
I have quite a few 1939, all of 1938 I think, and some of 1937.
But they are a lot of work to scan, the vintage news paper print comes out very dirty.
It would be easier if I had not upgraded to windows 7, as the HP scanner software and drivers are incompatible, and windows ones make no difference however you set the exposure. Hence it all has to be done manually afterwards. It would be a mammoth task to scan all the pages and manually adjust exposure in PSP to make them presentable.

Mike

Post by Doz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Doz wrote:Any chance of emailing me a copy of this in better resolution? Would like to show the apprentices.

My bad ... looks much better

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:09 am

Crackle wrote:I have quite a few 1939, all of 1938 I think, and some of 1937.

All of 1937 and Jan - June 1938 + 3 other issues are already available on the American site, so no point in reinventing the wheel ...

Crackle wrote:But they are a lot of work to scan, the vintage news paper print comes out very dirty.
It would be easier if I had not upgraded to windows 7, as the HP scanner software and drivers are incompatible, and windows ones make no difference however you set the exposure. Hence it all has to be done manually afterwards. It would be a mammoth task to scan all the pages and manually adjust exposure in PSP to make them presentable.

I usually get good results cleaning up scans with a few tweaks using Paint.NET (not MS Paint!) so, if you let me have couple of sample scans in .png format, I'll see how easy (or otherwise!) it is to make them presentable.

My Canon Lide-60 works with my W7 machine but not on Helen's pc running W8. However, there is a workaround to resolve this so it might be worth looking on the net to see if anybody has come up with a solution for your scanner.

Another possibility is to try the drivers, etc., for the oldest HP scanner that will work with W7 to see what happens with your scanner - there may well be a lot of similarities between the two if HP simply upgraded their drivers to add new bells and whistles to what was, basically, an updated version of the same machine.

Post by crackle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Cleaning the scans is not the problem, I am very able to do this, it is the quantity to be done. However after much fiddling and testing I was able to make a script in PSP 8 to do the image cleaning and processing, and experimented with the batch facility to run the script for me.
The guy running the US site with the WW library (David Gleason) has now downloaded some scans I put on my FTP site. I presented him with some very clear processed images in PNG, PDF and the original full size unedited PNG grey scale images.
He preferred to use the unedited images and convert them to JPG. (the clarity is now a lot less especially on the printed photos, due to the loss of original quality but I guess Davids aim has been to make the file size as small as possible)
Anyway January 1939 is now available on the site, and I will get round sometime to scanning some more, this time in the default JPG full colour format.

Mike

Return to In The Workshop