It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

Is this remote control working?

Re: Is this remote control working?

Post by Boingy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Hello all,
First post, so be gentle with me :)
One of the ways I used to test remotes was to tune an AM radio off-station, so that there's just static. If the ceramic resonator was working then you'd hear buzzing noises when the remote was brought close to the radio and the former's buttons were pressed. Ceramic resonators for remotes tended to operate near the AM radio's intermediate frequency. All this didn't prove that infra red was being emitted, or that the encoder was sending out the right pulses, but I found it useful more often than not to eliminate the encoder chip & resonator from the diagnosis. After a short while, one could tell what a certain remote should sound like on the radio. It certainly beat trying to 'scope the encoder chip. The customers loved the demonstration :aad
Cheers everyone :cca

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Morning Boingy, and welcome aboard :cca

Likewise, I used to do the same for testing remotes. The other trick was to point an infra-red remote at a digital camera - however some do have IR filters that stop that little trick from working :(

Post by Katie Bush » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Alternatively, if you have CCTV with infra red "night vision" or know someone who does, you can point the remote's emitter at one of those cameras.. Pressing a button on the remote should result in pulses of light being visible on the CCTV monitor.. If not, it's not working, however, it has to be said you should try first with a known working remote. :aad

The CCTV camera must be infra red capable, not simply "zero lux" or low light variety.

Marion

Post by TVJON74 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Mobile phones with a camera are quite handy for checking a remote this way, but not iPhone's as in my experience they are filtered.

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:38 pm

This is where you want your extended red 'Plumbicon' (or P8148AR 'Leddicon' if you bought EEV tubes) ... :qq1

Post by mark pirate » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 am

I have used the AM radio method for years, and still do. A digital camera is also a useful tool as well :aad

Previous

Return to General Work Shop Discussion