It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Rebuilding a homebrew coil winder

Valves, Transistors, IC's and Components. Bench test techniques, Test Gear - Valve Testers, Scopes, CRT Testers, Bridges, Sig Gens, Pattern Gens, Workshop tours etc

Re: Rebuilding a homebrew coil winder

Post by Brianc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:45 am

One last comment, Frank, on what is an excellent job, is to get hold of some pulleys for wire guidance which have a much sharper "Vee" with a narrow bottom (if you'll excuse the expression) as this will improve thr wire guidance with multi-layer winding. Also the distance between the last guide pulley and the coil should be as short as possible, again to improve guidance.
I echo what others have said. Your project would make an excellent article for thr BVWS magazine.

Post by FRANK.C » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Brian
I will keep a look out for better pulleys.
I hadn't realized that the pulley was so far away from the former. I had it setup with the larger pulley, then changed the pulley for the smaller bearing and never reset it.
Thanks for the encouragement on the article, I will give it a bash, but I find it a daunting task that will take me quite a while to complete.

Frank

Post by Brianc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:47 pm

If you like, I could turn up a pair for you out of some nylon rod I have. Let me know what diameter you want and bore size. It will only take half an hour.

Post by FRANK.C » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:40 am

Hi Brian
Thanks very much for your kind offer, I will send you a PM.

Frank

Post by Dr Wobble » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Excellent job Frank, its inspired me to improve my winder. Good advice too Brian about the guide wheel being as close as poss to the coil.

Again,well done Frank, I'll definetely be nicking some of your ideas, : ) Andy.

Post by FRANK.C » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi Andy
Great to hear that your going to do more work on your winder. Keep us updated I will be interested to read about it.

Over the holidays I got a chance to draw up the circuit of my old transverse controller, I have attached it in case anyone is interested.
The stepper driver was got from RS and is still available. RS stock no. 443-0102
With the right combination of stepper motor and lead screw it can be very effective, I used a 20 step motor with a M5 lead screw which worked quite well.

Frank
Attachments
old winder.png

Previous

Return to In The Workshop