It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Roband oscilloscopes.

Roband oscilloscopes.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi, from RR, my 'scope is a Roband RO50, 50 Mhz, dual trace, nearly all valve with a few ancient transistors. I got it from a place in Manchester way back in the 80's from an old shop that dealt in old test gear, it seemed to be mainly ex-government and ex- lab, etc., so mostly fairly high end stuff, but sadly it's long gone now, building and all. Apparently these 'scopes and anything from Roband were very rare, even when new, and now my 'scope is nearly 50 years old, and inside it certainly looks like it's made to something like military or some other high end standard, which would probably explain why it's lasted 50 years with hardly any repairs. I don't know what work it's had before I got it but it looks like almost nothings been touched. I've only had to do very minor jobs on it, the biggest job being stripping out the old DY51 or similar eht rectifier valves and their single turn heater windings and replacing them with the older larger BY182's which I stripped out of an old eht tripler. And while it still works well it now needs a real serious overhaul, which I can do if I can get a manual, but does anyone know where I could get one so rare? I've tried Mauritron and they haven't got one, and they have manuals for most things, more than anyone else by the looks of it. Have you got any manuals for this instrument in your library? The HT rails are well down on what they should be, for instance one that should be 225 volts is down to 195 volts, and still it works really well, but then it is BRITISH! RR.

Re: Roband oscilloscopes.

Post by Refugee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Have you tried a new rectifier valve in it yet?

Post by Rebel Rafter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi, RR here, I've been examining my 'scope a bit more closely and it doesn't have valve rectifiers, I thought it did, but it doesn't, they're all silicon. It does have four big pentodes in the power supply, they must be regulators, all EL86's, perhaps some of them are a bit worn out, it is nearly 50 years old after all. The smoothers are all original too, maybe some of them are a bit knackered too, as well as some other bits like resistors, I really need to find a manual before I delve too deep into it. RR.

Post by Refugee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:11 pm

It could be a reverse engineering job :aab

Post by crustytv » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Amazing development, I have been contacted by the engineer who designed the Roband R050.

He has offered to make available to me all the data he has on this scope. He is also still in contact with the engineer who designed the RO50A.

I'm humbled and grateful the engineer took the time to make contact as he didn't have to. I will let you know when I have the data and will make it all available via the Technical Library.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi, Crusty TV. How unexpected that is, I'd like to say a big thank you. I'd more or less given up on this issue, I was under the impression that if my old scope was made for the government or the military it's data might be secret and therefore possibly forever withheld or something like that. And I've just had a look and my scope is an RO50A, I don't know what the difference is, and it has a type 5C plug-in unit for the Y amplifier which is obviously all hand built to a thoroughly high standard, just like the Swiss with their watches. The alignment for these scopes must have took hours if not several days. Also I'd like to ask what's happened to the library, I've not been able to find it on your site recently, has something gone wrong? I thought I must've put my foot in it and upset someone and had my access removed, I hope that's not the case, it wouldn't the first time I've done that on a website. Thanks again, RR.

Post by crustytv » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:50 pm

The R050A was a development of the R050, addressing a few minor bugs. The data for the RO50 & R050A along with other Roband data will be available as soon as I get it. The designer has also stated he is more than happy to assist with any faults although his memory might be a little foggy as it was over 45 years ago when he designed it.

As for accessing the Technical Library you've done nothing wrong to warrant access removal, what is your main site account id? I need to know this so I can then check your access level. If you had access to the old site before it was revamped to the new you needed to re-register.

If you don't currently have a main site account then its simple just register, its self service. its all explained here and I recommend it is read.

Return to General Work Shop Discussion