Thanks John. We were invited to the "do" but declined, bit too expensive in trains, hotels, taxis etc for a two hour reception! My wife & I sailed aboard her from early 1990 to late 1992 when I left the sea!
Three Valve TRF
I completed it about half an hour ago, and it works beautifully! The only bit of surface wiring that defeated me was getting the two connections from the output transformer across to the loudspeaker jack socket. There was simply not enough room on top of the board. I drilled two holes next to the transformer. and two more close to the speaker jack socket. The wiring went underneath the board, and is held down with heavy tape! When I tested it, V1 was taking 1.2mA anode current, V2 1.2mA and V3 4mA, total 6.4mA when running on an HT of 100 Volts. I tried a very scabby looking W21 in place of V1 (SG215) and found the volume was rather louder. Because it was such a scruffy looking specimen, I laboriously scraped all the dirty grey metal coating off, and polished it up a bit! So there you have it, from my initial vague mental design to the completed receiver, via many changes and trial and error methods. I have no doubt that the more learned amongst you could just design it on paper, and produce a working receiver without having to alter anything, but that sort of thing is beyond me! You will note that I have been very heavy with the polished brass, nuts and bolts etc. The only reason for this was that some time ago, I obtained a large quantity of brass strips on a car boot sale for a very low price, and a 1.5 kilo tin of 6ba brass nuts & bolts from Ebay, for a similar low price, and wanted to use some of them. I can now study the set at leisure, draw out the final circuit, and decide how it works!