It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 am

Sony ICF-7600W

Sony ICF-7600W

Post by slidertogrid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't buy or collect many radios these days my interest is mainly d/s tv sets. but every now and again a radio will sort of find me..
I bought a rummage box at Cowbit yesterday. I had quickly looked in the box and there were a few bits that interested me so I made a note, 'box of grot £5 ish' on my catalogue. this is so when it comes up I don't get carried away! :cch
Anyway I won it for the maiden bid of a fiver!
When I got it home I went through it to decide what to keep.
Buried at the bottom and none worse for all the dross that was on top of was this little Sony radio. It looked very solid and well made typical Sony build quality for the 1970's. It covers Mw FM and five Sw bands.
Its the same as the one here http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/radio-e/sony-icf7600-e.htm
I put it to one side until I had sorted the rest of the stuff and then tried some batteries in it. at first nothing so I tried spinning the batteries in the holder in case it was a dodgy contact. success ! it spluttered into life. The two wavechange switches needed working a bit before it settled down and worked fully on all wavebands. I would guess it hasn't been used in years.
I spent a hour last night tuning through the shortwave bands hearing all sorts of interesting stations including various "trombone noises" and Morse code enthusiasts.. :bba
I am really pleased with my mucky little Sony I will give it a careful clean a little later. The white print looks slightly fragile and it might wipe off without too much effort I won't be bombarding it with foam cleaner!
I have a couple of Sony portable TVs in my collection this will make a nice addition!
I'm really glad I took a punt on the box of grot! You never know what might be buried! :bbeard
Rich.

Re: Sony ICF-7600W

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Not sure if it applies as far back as this little set, but many of these radios of this style were also badged as 'Sangean' 'Roberts' (and, oh no!) 'Matsui' and 'Saisho'.. All equally good as each other, but with a difference in price according to where they were bought.

As you say, solidly built, as is my Saisho version of this radio's bigger brother with LCD display, RF gain control, BFO, Bass and Treble tone controls and stereo decoder etc.

A nice find you have there.... :aad

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 pm

The Tesco Worldband is reduced to €9 now. It's not bad for a single conversion set.

I do wonder was the ICF-7600W really a Sony as it's much lower spec than ICF2001D.
The ICF5900 is still fetching very big money on eBay (Dual Conversion and BFO).

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Here it is.....

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/dixons_mat ... _4099.html

Although mine wears the "Saisho" badge, this radio has many different brand names and model numbers for the exact same radio, and despite the 'budget' branding of mine, it is every bit as good as the the others - including the Sony badged version.

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 am

I doubt the high street sells any radio as good as that now, Katie.

Post by Niall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:44 am

I have one of those, badged "Matsui". There are a few mods for it around on the net including one to reduce the "chuffing" noise it makes when tuning around.
Mine really needs taken apart and the battery contacts cleaned / derusted / replaced.

Return to Radio & Audio