It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 am

Recommissioning my old headphones

Domestic Valve & Transistor receivers, Radiograms, Gramophones, Amplifiers, Hi-fi, Speakers, Record players, Music centres, Tape machines, Cassette players & Jukeboxes

Recommissioning my old headphones

Post by Sparks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:53 am

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been dismantling most of my home-made receivers and packing the parts away in small boxes, thus gaining quite a lot of space. I came across my old ex RAF headphones yesterday. They are 4,000 Ohms (2,000 on each earpiece). The vulcanised rubber on the metal headbands was perished and rotten, so I had to crack it all off. This left the earpieces far too loose for the headphones to be of any use in that condition. I removed 8 metal inserts from a fairly large connecting block, and put two above each earpiece, and two below, thus securing them at the correct levels. Some time ago, my wife had made new earpiece cushions to replace the originals that had disintegrated. I threw a crystal set together, and was delighted to find that the headphones still worked. The lead is in pretty good condition. I have had these headphones all my life and used them for my first radio build in 1952.
Bob
Attachments
Headphones (Large).JPG
High resistance headphones ex RAF

Re: Recommissioning my old headphones

Post by Niall » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:10 am

Could the rubber not be replaced with heatshrink sleeving to restore the original appearance and function?

Re: Recommissioning my old headphones

Post by Sparks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:28 am

Probably, but I am not concerned about the original appearance. That has gone anyway, as the new ear cushions do not look anywhere near as good as the original chamois leather ones. To me, they are just good high impedance heapdhones.
Bob

Return to Radio & Audio