It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Peter Comes to London

Found a site or news article and think others would be interested? then post it here.

Peter Comes to London

Post by peter scott » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:43 am

With Brian (unbeknowingly) selecting my birthday for his Southern & Thames Valley meet I thought I just had to treat myself. Rather than travel and return on the same day I stayed overnight in London and used part of my second day to visit the new "Information Age" gallery in the Science Museum.

In addition to the now famous Rugby aerial coils....
P1020176 (Small).jpg

...and 2LO...
P1020178 (Small).jpg

...I also came across what I guess must be one of Steve's Retrovisors doing a grand job...
P1020185 (Small).jpg

...and fresh from having just been shown, for the first time, one of these complete radios in a glass bottle that was sitting on Brian's window ledge ...
P1020182 (Small).jpg
...the self same thing including the external controls and connectors!

...Also of interest to me was seeing Watson-Watt's prototype radar..
P1020197 (Small).jpg

....Oh, and lastly a home made television in sharp contrast to Brian's...
P1020186 (Small).jpg

Peter

Re: Peter Comes to London

Post by PYE625 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 am

Looks and sounds like you had an interesting time Peter :aad

Post by Brianc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

That gallery looks very interesting, Peter. I will have to get up there - and what a coincidence seeing that Lowe (pronounced Leuva) radio using the 3NF (Nieder Frequenz or low frequency) 3 in 1 valve. I notice that the metalisation has been partially scraped off to reveal the innards - that has helped me to decide to do the same to mine as it's already damaged.
I'm glad you had a happy birthday and it was a real pleasure to see you here - and that, of course, goes for all the VRATs.

Post by peter scott » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 am

Brianc wrote:I'm glad you had a happy birthday and it was a real pleasure to see you here - and that, of course, goes for all the VRATs.

Indeed I did and very glad I came to your meet! I'd never heard of, let alone seen one of those Lowe valves before you showed me it so I too was much struck by the coincidence. I hadn't liked the Science Museum's changes in recent years but I thought the "Information Age" gallery tended more to its old self.

Peter

Post by Panrock » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:52 pm

peter scott wrote:...I also came across what I guess must be one of Steve's Retrovisors doing a grand job...
Thanks for giving me the credit but this is not one of mine. The sharp louvre profiiles and the original vertical and horizontal hold adjusters mean this is probably a monitor hidden in a re-coloured TV22 cabinet.

Steve

Post by Cathovisor » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Panrock wrote:
peter scott wrote:...I also came across what I guess must be one of Steve's Retrovisors doing a grand job...
Thanks for giving me the credit but this is not one of mine. The sharp louvre profiiles and the original vertical and horizontal hold adjusters mean this is probably a monitor hidden in a re-coloured TV22 cabinet.

Steve

So, in the Science MUSEUM, visitors are presented with something that looks pretty, rather than actually existed? Ye Gods.

Post by peter scott » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Panrock wrote:Thanks for giving me the credit but this is not one of mine.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry about that. I looked around the back and it appeared to have a plastic moulding complete with top hat instead of the usual millboard type on the TV22 so I just assumed it must be a Retrovisor.

Kind regards,

Peter :ccf

Post by brased » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Peter

I'm glad that you enjoyed the new gallery. To have such iconic exhibits as the 2LO transmitter and the Rugby Radio aerial tuning coil as centre pieces of a comprehensive display is such an improvement over what it replaces.

I was fortunate to be a member of a group shown round a few weeks ago by the curator, John Liffen. His enthusiasm for the new scheme of things was evident and it does seem to mark a significant and encouraging change of direction for the Science Museum.

Edward

Post by peter scott » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:21 pm

brased wrote: it does seem to mark a significant and encouraging change of direction for the Science Museum.

Edward

Hi Edward,

Yes, I do agree, and thanks for suggesting that I should take a look.

Peter :aad

Return to Web Sites & Places to visit