It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am

BHTG Progress

Found a site or news article and think others would be interested? then post it here.

Re: BHTG Progress

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:01 am

In the event of an EMP (from new weapon or atomic bomb) all the transistor gear will die and the MOD will re-issue the WS88.
The original WS88 had 6 channels (Band I approx ). The ones I used had two channels blocked off with a screw rather than internal disabled. I think they were in the old BBC1 Ch1.

The only serious proposal for Band I is European wide to use it for Digital Radio Mondial + as DAB can never give VHF-FM quality of coverage as it's on Band III. The idea is that National stations with near 100% coverage and about 1/4 as many TX sites as DAB has now (and DAB needs about x6 as many fill in low power sites to give VHF_FM coverage!).

I can't imagine why MOD is adamant. But that's normal in every country.

Other Users
Legal CE marked Short Range Devices (licence free) 49MHz
Amateur is 50 to 52 MHz
Amateur also has a small allocation at 70MHz, but strictly speaking this is outside Band I.
Maybe Some Private Business Mobile?

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 am

It wasn't a serious suggestion. Transistor gear can be as rugged now for Lightening and EMP.

About six years ago I nearly bought a WS 19. But I decided it was more a collectors thing than an operators and that I certainly had neither the space or money to collect Valve Militaria. It was the cheap alternative in 1950s, 1960s and even early 1970s to building or buying Amateur Radio station, but now it's definitely rich spacious collectors territory. I bought a Yaesu FT101ZD Mk III instead which is 1/2 way between the purely collectable and sensibly operational.

Post by Panrock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Martin has just posted his yearly update here:
http://405-line.org.uk/?page_id=127

Steve

Return to Web Sites & Places to visit