It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Beamish Stores

Found a site or news article and think others would be interested? then post it here.

Beamish Stores

Post by Stitch » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 pm

As Beamish tickets allow you to visit as many times as you like I often go for a wander around the massive site and pretending I've gone back in time for a few hours, only wish I could live there!
http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Anyway, although they don't currently go much beyond the turn of the 20th Century they do have plans to build a 50's town .. surely they have to have a TV/Radio repair shop?
http://www.beamish.org.uk/future-plans/

Like most museums they have a large collection of artifacts not on display and they have opened some of the stores up for the summer season and I thought some may be interested in a couple of pics. Just taken on the iPhone so not brilliant, the last one is difficult to see but the label said it was an ITV tuner.

John
Attachments
image (9).jpeg
image (9).jpeg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 697 times
image (8).jpeg
image (8).jpeg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 697 times
image (7).jpeg
image (7).jpeg (39.67 KiB) Viewed 697 times
image (6).jpeg
image (6).jpeg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 697 times
image (5).jpeg
image (5).jpeg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 697 times

Re: Beamish Stores

Post by Ed Dinning » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi John, as a retired IET member, I and others are currently involved with assistance to various museums including Beamish, who will probably be emptying their stores when they get the 50's area set up complete with radio/ TV/ electrical store, maybe even in line with the one in the Black country Museum.
Have you also been to the Discovery museum in Blanford Sq recently?
We have done a lot of work in their stores and found all sorts of electrical, mechanical and electronic goodies to eventually add to the displays.

Ed

Post by neil29 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I really must get up to beamish and some other museums soon as ive wanted to visit for many years now :) :thumb

Cheers,Neil..

Post by Stitch » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi Ed,
That's good to know. I've not been to the discovery for a while but remember years ago there was a lot more on display than there is now (or when I was last there).
I've been to the Black Country museum radio shop, it would be great to see something similar at Beamish.
Id love to help if ever you need volunteers.

John

Return to Web Sites & Places to visit