It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

Are Vintage Radio & TV an investment?

Found a site or news article and think others would be interested? then post it here.

Are Vintage Radio & TV an investment?

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Not really. maybe if you are very very expert and canny purchaser. The main reason to buy is a love of collecting, not resale value.

Certainly you are talking often about a 20 year gap between purchase and sale and generally selling only one at a time. An entire collection depresses the price.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201311 ... investment

Re: Are Vintage Radio & TV an investment?

Post by Duke Nukem » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Interestingly, this link to the _British_ Broadcasting company is not available in Britain !

Radios / TV's on the whole aren't good investments. Round Ekcos and Bush TV22's have certainly dropped the past few years, whilst pre-war tellies are on a high - ready for a fall although probably not much of one).

I simply look at my purchases with the notion that I won't see any of my money again since its very unlikely I'll sell whatever I bought.

TTFN,
Jon

Post by Brianc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 pm

I agree with you Jon. All we're doing is building quite a problem for those who come after us (not in the chase sense :qq1 ). Sarah is understanding about the collection but is dreading the day when she has to deal with it!

Post by Valvebloke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm

My vintage hifi on the other hand has appreciated a good deal more than the money I put in ISAs. For quite long periods the latter would have been better invested in an SUTM (Sock Under The Mattress) :cch .

VB

Post by Paul_RK » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

They were quite a good investment back around 1970: items from then that are still with me include an Ekco A22 (£0.50), Philips 834A Superinductance (£0.35) and Bush SAC25 with triode output (£0.10). Unfortunately both my storage space and my available capital were quite limited when I was 10, and I could only get to the local auction room during school holidays: otherwise I'd very happily have spent my days amassing a vast hoard of future treasures :qq1

By contrast I'm sure I'd have trouble getting back what I paid for most of my purchases from around 20-25 years ago - some exceptions there, like Hacker portables which sell at good prices now but will probably cease to do so should an analogue switchoff loom much closer. Given the demographic of us enthusiast/collector types today I really don't think there's any potential for general vintage radio and TV values to soar again.

Paul

Return to Web Sites & Places to visit