It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

BBC Genome Project -what were the wild waves saying?

Found a site or news article and think others would be interested? then post it here.

BBC Genome Project -what were the wild waves saying?

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:59 pm

The Genome Project is aimed at digitising every copy of the Radio Times between 1923 and 2009 - so you can see what was on-air the day you were born, for example, or on your 18th birthday.

Absolutely fascinating...

Re: BBC Genome Project -what were the wild waves saying?

Post by Valvebloke » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Fascinating indeed ! I've just checked my birthday (I was born in 1958) and the weather forecast on the Home Service at 17:55 seems to contain a feature which I thought, until now, was just an idea of mine. It says:

Forecast for land areas, followed by a detailed forecast for the South-East region

[RANT]Brilliant ! I have a bee in my bonnet about weather forecasts. They're delivered by weatherpeople who are interested in, well, weather. So that's what we hear about. The more interesting the weather, the more we hear about it. Given the way the planet spins there is quite often some really interesting weather coming the way of Cornwall. Or Northern Ireland. Or The Hebrides. Lovely places all. But HARDLY ANYONE LIVES THERE ! All the people live in the major conurbations of the South East/South Central, the Midlands, the Liverpool-Manchester-Sheffield-Leeds cluster and the Scottish Lowlands. We need equal attention focussed on, say, these four regions and one other which should be 'Everywhere Else'. That way loads and loads of people might get to find out what their weather is actually going to be rather than just being dismissed with "sunshine and showers" which I, for one, was this morning. It's not as if they don't know. All I had to do was get up, switch the PC on and go to the BBC weather site and the soothsaying for my patch was there in detail. It seems that 56 years ago the radio weatherpeople could do that too.[/RANT]

Goes for a lie down in a soothingly lit room ...

VB

Post by Ed Dinning » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi VB, you missed out the most important bit ~ NE England, very changeable weather as I'm sure you know.
This deserves a message to your relative and a long customs delay at Leeds!!!!

Ed

Post by Refugee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Those forecasters never warn us folks east of the peak district that the high ground will mix it all up so that sunshine and showers becomes drizzle.

Return to Web Sites & Places to visit