It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 pm

AAAA batteries.

Everything about batteries, history , rebuilding, making replicas, eliminators etc

AAAA batteries.

Post by sideband » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm familiar with A, AA and AAA bateries but I was in the local DIY shop the other day and saw AAAA batteries. These were about half the diameter of AAA but about the same length. Never seen them before. Have I led a sheltered life or is this a new size? I was in a hurry so didn't stop to look further.

I've looked them up and it seems they could be used in laser pointers and such like so presumably not that new. Just seems strange that a small local DIY shop had a large stock of them.

Rich.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Re: AAAA batteries.

Post by Terrykc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 pm

I think Michael has mentioned them being used inside some types of PP3 (alkaline and rechargeables, I think) rather than layer cells.

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 pm

The Alkaline PP3 do have 6 x AAAA, or close enough to save money if you need AAAA cells. Zinc Carbon PP3 are always Layer and Alkaline PP3 are always cylinder (can be almost identical, some packs use slightly shorter cells).

This is why Alkaline is 590mAH and Zinc Carbon about 460mAH at low current. The Alkaline cells don't fill the case so well. Compare Zinc Carbon AA at 950mAH to 1100mAH and Alkaline AA about 2500mAH to 2700mAH at low current. This why 90V HT using layer cells adopted rather than using 60 x B cells. PP9 Zinc Carbon layer cells about 5,000mAH.

The older NiCd used 6 x rounded rectangle "button" like stacked cells a little like the 3 on 3.6V PCB backup battery.

6 x NiMH cells is slightly more volts than NiCd, so is thus about 7.4 to 7.5 nominal rather than 7.2, those may on occasion be AAAA. But there are 7 cell and allegedly even 8 cell NiMH. These probably use stacked cells like the NiCd version but thinner.

Layer cells in the sense that Zinc Carbon exist isn't possible with Alkaline, NiCd or NiMH. On Alkaline the top cap is part of the outer cylinder (+ve) unlike ZnC cylinder where the case is the Zinc negative electrode and positive is carbon.

I have never seen an explanation of how the Zinc Carbon Layer cells work. They don't have metallic zinc. The negative must just be Zinc Chloride. The Carbon rod (or surface in a layer cell) isn't really an electrode. It's just any common metal would dissolve in the Manganese Dioxide paste. It's possible the layer cell is a part way development toward the Alkaline cell.

It's more than a little confusing that Alkaline, Zinc Chloride and Zinc Carbon have similar chemicals and all rely on Zinc and Manganese Dioxide to generate the voltage.

Post by Mike C » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 pm

These can be found in alkaline PP3s and inside the Ever Ready disposable squeeze light but Energizer make this size and there old in packs, two per pack and used in Blue tooth sets I think.

Post by Michael Watterson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Ever Ready are LONG gone, bought by "Energizer" who use the US "Eveready" brand name for Zinc Carbon and Zinc Chloride :grin:

Return to Batteries