It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 am

Trouble with Alkaline ...

Everything about batteries, history , rebuilding, making replicas, eliminators etc

Trouble with Alkaline ...

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 am

The Zinc Carbon uses a Zinc case as the negative. The positive is a carbon rod with a cap.

On the Alkaline cells the negative is a disc and the "cap" (positive) is a moulded part of the can.

On modern stuff the battery holder is plastic, so no problems. But older stuff is metal and the Alkaline cell may have only a thin foil covering insulating the positive can from the chassis connected to negative. The foil is easily torn or scraped. Here is my solution:

A vintage battery label, two layers of paper and outer clear parcel tape :)

I had this (actually it was very poor and wrong size, I edited it a lot):
eveready_d.jpg

And a photo of an old Ever Ready U2. I copy / pasted the logo from a B114 and typed/drew the rest

Print at 150dpi gives enough ease for thin card.
Glue tab on battery (maybe peel off film).
top & bottom should overlap ends, put a little glue around and then fold a small part of overlap rotating the cell each time.
Don't block safety vents on bottom with glue.

everready_rep_U2_d.jpg

This is a mk1, so the spacing may not be 100% correct. Looks nicer than brown tape or blank card.

All my designs are deliberately faded to save ink and also not be mistaken for real. You can adjust gamma to make the blue darker.

Re: Trouble with Alkaline ...

Post by Mike C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Great work there. I did a mock up U10 and used a paper label as when I took the cells out of a 3R12 they were not insulated as they were in a plastic case. Battery sizes have changed and the AA is a good example as now they have a metal jacket which makes them fatter so in some radios its a tight squeeze so I just remove the metal jacket and add a paper one, problem solved. 8-) .

The graphics are spot on with the blue U2 and some had for longer life on while later ones had for life in orange letters and were dark blue but towards the 70s they were light blue with a slight different logo. the first pic I am thinking is American, a Union carbide product.

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Mike C wrote:. the first pic I am thinking is American, a Union carbide product.

Yes, I had that and used it as a layout guide. I added over 90 Ever Ready & Vidor to Radiomuseum.org Many need photos though.

I actually had a Tesco Alkaline short out on a Philips LD480AB "Annette" as the chassis metal cut the thin foil film on it.
de_Pertrix_d_cell_cover.jpg

My Marconiphone T24DAB uses 5 cells 3 & 2 layout with no spacers, so again with ALL modern batteries with thin film there is a short risk.

"U" is of course for "Unit Cell" as they were called that in the beginning.

Post by Mike C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Some alkaline batteries do have thin foil jackets that can tear easy and short out, when this happens bin them but they do bounce back but will leak. I have an early U2 with unit cell on and these came in many sizes, Drydex did a three and two cell version and the U11 or C cell also came in twos and threes. The Ever Ready 1829 is two D cells together and the 1839 was two C cells together and the 1915 was two AA cells, used in torches mainly. I think Varta took over Pertrix as I saw an old Varta battery in Spain with Pertrix on it. The U11 or C cell on some Ever Ready had the words baby on them and so did there two cell version batteries. The old No 8 had Bijou on them, these have two U8s inside.

When Alkaline batteries get shorted out they get very hot so be careful. I read your disaster with the lithium coin cells in a B126. At least the radio was saved though. Lithium can be vary unstable when things go wrong.

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

:thumbl: Thanks Mike.

There is a 3V bijou listed by GEC matches No. 8 size. But what two cells did it use?

Two U8 cells in one tube is Duplex, but what is Ever Ready name?

Post by Mike C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Not sure on the GEC range but I have a D cell by them and it has a cat no ba 6103. The Ever Ready name for this 3v cell using two U8s is a No 8. Vidor did them but not sure of the number but it started with a V. The modern code for these is 2R10 but don't know what is inside these but all the No 8 sizes up until the last one made had U8s inside.
Drydex unit cells had two cell large and small on ect. The Ever Ready range was just numbers on but my two C cell unit cell has baby torch battery on it. I have a Drydex size No 8 with two cell Bijou on and that has two U8s inside in series. The only use for a single U8 was in one of those pocket size Pifco torches. The U8 was a rare battery not often seen. I have only ever seen one on Ebay.

Post by Michael Watterson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:25 pm

So .. Bijou = Duplex = N0.8 = 2 x U8 and my U8 size is wrong on Radio Museum. Now fixed.

Thanks mike.
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_u8.htm

Post by Mike C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 pm

No problem. Some battery firms have different codes and names for cells and its confusing but I can confirm that the No 8 cell which was 3v used two U8s in series inside a cardboard tube, later ones were plastic though. I saw that U8 from the small battery company but if you needed such a battery size you could break open a 2R10 if that's what the new ones use. I also noticed they do a U10 to but these can be sought easy enough from a 3R12 but don't forget to insulate those zinc jackets. If your on Facebook please feel free to add me as all my work is on there.

Return to Batteries