It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 am

Cheap PP9 batteries

Cheap PP9 batteries

Post by Mike C » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm

I picked up a few of these today from a shop in Stanley in Co Durham. They were 2.49 each which is cheap and there in date as use by 2014 and made by Panasonic. Other places these things cost a lot more so how can a small shop sell these at this price. I picked these up for David Boynes Hacker radio and they do perform well, even he could not believe the price as he has seen them for 8.99 each in other places, lets face it the Panasonic ones are the same as Eveready silver so why the cheap price.

Re: Cheap PP9 batteries

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Actually the regular ones are massively OVERPRICED (€6.50 to €8 here). It's maybe as much active materials as 12 Zinc Carbon AA cells, less metal though.

Sounds a good price.

Post by Mike C » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 pm

They are overpriced for what they are as they are only zinc carbon but now there not metal clad but I thought they were cheap at that price as did David as the other day he went to Maplins and was shocked at the price, even lantern cells that are zinc carbon were 8.99, I can get these for 1.99. These PP9s were in date and worked well in the radio. It uses two in series to make 18V. These are still used in fire safety systems so I have been told but for tat price you can not go far wrong. Years ago RS made a rechargeable PP9 but you don't see many around now. I am amazed at how cheap they are in that shop compared to other outlets.

Post by Lloyd » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm

That's a good price, last time I bought some (last year), I paid £3.49 from Wilko's, they were £1 less a year or so earlier :|

Regards,
Lloyd.

Post by Mike C » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm

I thought it was an excellent price and the most cheap by far. I got these for David as he has a Hacker set that uses two. I can not understand how they are selling so cheap and there not out of date as I checked. just under a fiver to power his radio but if he had paid 8.99 twice as he needed two that is one expensive power source for something that is just a zinc carbon battery and not Alkaline. I bet these are the cheapest in the country for this size of battery. :thumbr:

Post by Paul_RK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:12 am

Durham indoor market's electrical stall has always been good too - they switched from selling Panasonics to Ever Ready Silver Seal a while back. I can't remember whether they were £2.49 or £2.99 last time I was there a few weeks ago, certainly no more than that.

Post by malcscott » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 am

£2.49 last weekend.

Post by Mike C » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Its rare to find these so cheap but there is no difference between the Eveready ones and the Panasonic apart from the label and both are made in China anyway. There 3.99 in Hexham but that Price but up here they do seem rather cheep compared to other places.

Return to Dials, Logo's & Batteries