It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 am

Philips shaver battery.

Everything about batteries, history , rebuilding, making replicas, eliminators etc

Philips shaver battery.

Post by malcscott » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

My Philips rechargeable shaver needs a new battery, a single ni-cad cell similar in size to a AA. P/N 4822-138-10611. To my horror i found one on the CHS website priced at £18.64p + vat = £22.37p !!!!!!!!
How can they charge this much? I only paid a fiver more than that for a new car battery. 8)) 8))

Re: Philips shaver battery.

Post by Bluebottle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Yep but you can't run your shaver on a car battery and they know it !!!

Post by malcscott » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

I cant start my car with a shaver battery either :=D

Post by Mike C » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

You could replace it with another NICAD, check out car boot sales and Ebay for such batteries, some small shops carry old stock items. I am thinking the charger is built in to this shaver. I am thinking your batteries are suffering from memory effect, this is when you get crystal build up. Do they look furred up or leaky?. I bought a Sharp Else mate calculator from 1974 with its original NICAD cells in place and they were furred up badly but I brought them back to life by cleaning them with a hobby tool and then shocking them in to life from a car battery for ten seconds, this melts those crystals and they seem to hold a charge and have done so for a month now. A lot of NICADS can be brought back to life using this method.

Post by malcscott » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am

I have had the shaver over 20 years and it still performs as good as new when battery was ok.Dont think much life left in battery by now. :=D

Post by Mike C » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm

I thought that with the old rechargeable NICAD AAs inside my Sharp calculator as I nearly binned them but they cleaned up great and when I shocked them of a car battery it fixed the problem and there holding charge, failing this then replacing the old NICADS is the way to go but if its a shaver try to replace with high capacity ones as its motor driven. AA was a common size but that said you don't see many NICADS of this size but there is a shop in Prudhoe that sells old stock rechargeable batteries but sadly in large sizes only. Lloytron do NICAD AAs as I have seen them on Ebay.

Post by malcscott » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I have located a NOS battery in a sealed Philips pack among my vast collection of spares. It is the identical one, same Philips p/no. I have fitted it and the shaver is now on charge. The battery has a date code of 02/09.
I dont know if this is the sell by date of the production date. I will report back later after it has been on charge a few hours.

Post by Mike C » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice one but rechargeable batteries don't have a use by date on, maybe its a production code. At least its AA size and easy to fit and source. I am thinking this shaver also uses wheel type blades and does not have a foil which over time can get on the thin side. Phillips is a fantastic make for shavers and there stuff is built to last.

Post by malcscott » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 am

I am pleased to report that the battery has fully charged and the shaver is working as good as new. I am now clean shaven again! Malc :=D

Return to Batteries