It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Modern day battery brands

Everything about batteries, history , rebuilding, making replicas, eliminators etc

Modern day battery brands

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm

We all know about the mundane makes but lately there have been some new additions to the market and most recent is Ford, the same firm that make cars. They have allowed there name to be used for this purpose but the batteries are made by another firm, possibly in China. Other brands you see in cheap shops are JCB, Hyundai and Daewoo, these to also make cars so are these firms in the process of diversification. I found these in family bargains which is a local store.
Attachments
bth_DSCF4418_zpsfc13ae2b copy.jpg
New out in family bargains store
bth_DSCF4418_zpsfc13ae2b copy.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

Re: Modern day battery brands

Post by Jamie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Ford appear to be decent batteries (I use polaroid personally from Poundland).

Ah Daewoo's... As good as there cars I think! The batteries are awful, Have no current and leak like hell when left for 5 minutes!

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I had a lantern battery from JCB but it did not last long but when I opened it up it had leaked and it was not stored damp either but I all fairness it was cheap, also those JCB oxi cells in my camera did not last either. The rest seem ok with makes such as Hyundai but Powercell batteries are just rubbish and I just keep these for a test supply to test my items before I buy, They don't seem to last long. Kodak are ok though, I am not sure about these Ford ones but at 98p a pack you can not go wrong, The alkaline ones should be better though. I am just amazed Ford has put there name to these.

Post by Jamie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, Kodak "Supralife" were brilliant! Until they vanished from the shelves! :\'(

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Sadly JCB are not up to much but thee cheap for a quid a strip :w00t: I have not seen the superlife ones but I have a few red Kodak cells with long life on. There not leaky either. Some of those cheap Chinese batteries are great to look at with regard to there names and designs but performance wise there no good at all. I bought a whole pack of Huahong and Huatai twenty four in a pack for one euro in Spain and one of these firms also make cars to but for China only.

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Kodak, Polariod, JCB, Ford, Grundig etc are all no-name Chinese. All just labels.

I've found the JCB no worse than other cheap Zinc Carbon. They were 14 x AA for price of 10 other brands, but gone now replaced by "Ford".

Hyundai I tested and dismembered were particularly poor with a lot of them leaking. All the other brands are similar quality and capacity (i.e. they use fat hollow plastic bungs and two of them so their is less AA, C or D cell than there used to be. They all have fake packaging to make them look like Alkaline. (i.e. instead of plastic cap like old Ever Ready LP / SP / HP they have a metal cap full size of top.

Zinc Chloride are just the old HP cells. They are not worth paying a premium for. Any high drain device should use Alkaline or ideally NiMH. Budget cells (Zinc Carbon or Zinc Chloride) are too high a resistance for a Digital Camera and even good quality Alkaline last about 1/3rd time of NiMH due to high current drain. On low drain devices Zinc Carbon can equal NiMH (due to NiMH self discharge) and Alkaline can be x2.5 to x3 better.

Most of the Eveready (Energiser Holdings USA) Zinc Carbon seem to be Chinese, though if Energiser Factories or just relabelled I don't know. The seal on the 996 Lantern pack F cells must not have their confidence as they recommend upright storage.

I'd be sceptical that Sony make the cheap Zinc Carbon Sony batteries, but since they are same price as JCB/ Kodak/Polariod/Ford PP3 layer cell, I buy them.

The Kodak Layer cell PP3 won't clip together in a chain and many Alkaline PP3 and the Kodak Layer PP3 are too fat for tight space B126 packs.

Post by Jamie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm

These are the Kodak's I was on about. As I said good batteries, Hold a nice amount of charge and were ideal for camera's.. Until they vanished from Poundlands shelves!

P.s The PP3's will happily "chain together" otherwise i'm unsure as to what my Everready Sky King is powered by! :=D

Post by Red to black » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

I wonder if some of these are the modern day equivalent of 'Flying Bombs', :=D anyone remember these cheap Chinese batteries ?

Edit: made in Hong Kong, pic attached
Attachments
2075585493_e64c7055e7.jpg
2075585493_e64c7055e7.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
Last edited by Red to black on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Just had a ratch and I have two gold Kodak C cells like those in the pic. I also have some green Hyundai cells those eco ones. Such cheap batteries are ok for torches but cameras and high drain devices should have alkaline as they last longer. I have found cheap alkaline cells to be ok. All these cheap batteries are made in China with different labels on, Guangdong province has many factories producing batteries under different names. So its the same battery but different label, I have found Kodak perform the best though for some reason, Metal clad PP3s are had to link together because the metal case adds bulk to its size and some brands are thicker than others as often a few PP3s are tight to fit in some radios because of this as years ago battery compartments were designed around thinner cases but the majority fit though but indeed you get the odd radio that has this problem.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:33 pm

I saw the results of some discharge tests a while ago in which the Kodak AAs came out top for value for money at 17p each. There were still lots of them the last time I stocked up at Poundland.

Poundland must be charging you a premium in Yarmouth, Jamie, if they only sell them in fours! I always get 6 to a pound ...!

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Here are mine from Flying bomb, there not easy to find now and I have never seen a PP3 size or a red C cell, yellow was more common. I threw the rest of the C cells away as they had leaked and these were the survivors. The PP3 came out of a pocket radio.
Attachments
bth_DSCF4419_zps2ba905f7 copy.jpg
bth_DSCF4419_zps2ba905f7 copy.jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 2261 times

Post by Jamie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Terrykc wrote:Poundland must be charging you a premium in Yarmouth, Jamie, if they only sell them in fours! I always get 6 to a pound ...!

Yes, I bought them in six.. Could only find an image of 4 on Google :thumbl:

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Poundland stores as it goes now.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-rang ... batteries/

Poundworld.

http://poundworld.net/category/main-pro ... lectrical/

Poundstretcher had a few issues with there batteries a while back but it was those gold coloured ones but a lot of pound shops stock the same stuff anyway.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story ... z2LwF9IMk9

Post by Jamie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Sadly, The Xtralife's are useless.. Don't last atall!

Post by Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

They do say you get what you pay for but Panasonic seem ok and a good price to, the Zinc carbons are ok but again for low drain devices but there alkaline cells seem to last. Where I live there is a lot of cheap shops and I can get PP9 batteries for 2.48 each, again Panasonic but they used to charge this for the Eveready silver ones but with those there all the same just a different label. Market stalls are also good for cheap batteries but be careful because they may have been out in the weather to long. We also have an Argos clearance shop and they were selling there cheap range of batteries D size at 9p for a two pack. Others cottoned on and bought these to sell on for a quid a pack 8)) They had pallets full in there but it was just this size.

Alba also did a range of alkaline batteries and they were ok however I had a leak issue with one of there AA cells but the D size is ok. These were 99p for four AA cells and 99p for two D size. Its not a new thing as Murphy made Nicad cells and mine still hold a charge now.

Return to Batteries