It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Zenith Z985 & Eveready 752

Zenith Z985 & Eveready 752

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:09 am

I have the scan of Eveready version from Thomson site, but I can only find photos of the Zenith Version, even though the Batterymaker has made two Zenith versions?

Anyone got or know a scan of the Zenith version?

Re: Zenith Z985 & Eveready 752

Post by Mike C » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:26 am

You could ask this guy as he might have a scan. Bill will be your best bet or some American radio forum may be able to help.

http://www.radiolaguy.com/info/Vintage_Batteries.htm

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Radioguy and Bill have scans for sure.

Post by Michael Watterson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Well, I ignored the Eveready scans from Thompson Family website as my friend with the Zenith fancied a Zenith.

I found FIVE different sizes. Well, it seems two sizes of battery packs did exist and also some people have measured the radio ... Perhaps forgetting a 1.5V scale lamp battery has to fit in too. Also the plug is on the battery and the socket on the radio! The socket sticks out of the battery maybe 1cm.

So I aimed for a maximum size of 70 x 104 x 350.

I used Red A2 size "Art folder" (€2 each for A1 size worth of really heavy card!). The colour is close to RCA or Zenith packs.

Obviously with an A4 printer, even one side of the Z985 / #752 is impossible!

All the same pack:
Zenith Z-985
Burgess G6B60
Eveready 752
Neda 400
Hallicrafters P999
Ray-O-Vac AB995
Sears 6401
RCA VS047

Unlike the similar pack used in my Pye & RCA (Neda 401, Eveready 753, Ever Ready B135) there is no Ever Ready version.

The Zenith pack has advantage that parts can be left bare card and the seams can be at the black band:
Z985_sample.jpg
Z985_sample.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

Edited from a photo of a Zenith Transoceanic Radio

So I worked from separate photos, logos (some off different batteries), and retyping most of the text.

Base is Pizza box tray card with a layer of the red Art folder card glued on later.

make1.jpg

make2.jpg

make3.jpg

make4.jpg

make5.jpg

make6.jpg

make7.jpg

make8.jpg

It's hard to see the joins on the two sets of two red labels either side of the black band (which is printed in one piece). The two ends are separate labels. The colour matches well and in real life is as red as the photo of the real battery. My camera (or with the combination of lights and colour balance) doesn't do saturated red well, they go pink.

make9.jpg

Only left to do is make the plug and wire the 6 x 10 way AA holders (three either side of the D cells).

The legend for the socket is misplaced. I have edited the file, but for this prototype I'll correct with a black marker and white pen.

I have created the label for the Scale Lamp battery, which will be a tube with a C cell in it.

Post by Michael Watterson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

The connector is 4 bits of brass tube (broken telescopic rod with chrome sanded) mounted in veroboard behind a piece of moulding board with 1" hole drilled.

Soldered with track side facing opening so pressing in connector doesn't lift tracks. Then the 1mm to 2mm or protruding tube on rear is flattened out and filled with solder.

The pin ends are soldered too.

A plastic spacer to insulate and locate is made from marge tub lid and glued with impact adhesive (let both parts get tacky, near dry before mating).

A 2nd piece of wood has two screws going into it via two holes in the veroboard.

connector_door.jpg

I had the opening text in wrong place, so blacked it out and wrote in hand :)

batteries.jpg

packing1.jpg

packing2.jpg

As the pack has pins and not sockets it needs an LT and HT fuse.

Return to Dials, Logo's & Batteries