It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Fly tipped storage battery cases

Fly tipped storage battery cases

Post by Mike C » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Another Chloride product possibly from 1970s or 80s sadly missing the tops and the plates. I think they had been scrapped for the lead inside and their cases dumped. There were loads dumped on an industrial estate near Scotswood Newcastle by the riverside. Early examples would have been made of glass but these are Perspex or plastic. I brought a few back and a few had numbers written in black marker pen on the side so they're possibly from a battery storage bank for some back up power supply.
Attachments
bth_DSC_0100_zps3232b976 copy.jpg
Fly tipped
bth_DSC_0100_zps3232b976 copy.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 943 times
bth_DSCF4541_zps7f203e1a copy.jpg
Cleaned up, cases only sadly
bth_DSCF4541_zps7f203e1a copy.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 943 times

Re: Fly tipped storage battery cases

Post by Ed Dinning » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Mike, these look like GPO types from PABX use; I have a couple here. As they were found at Scotswood they may have been recycled at Pattersons lead plant in that area.

Ed

Re: Fly tipped storage battery cases

Post by Mike C » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for than information as I was unsure of the application they were used in. I collect anything that has Chloride on it besides other stuff. Its a shame they were not complete though but there were loads dumped there and the separators to but no tops or filler caps. They were on the Blaydon side of the river. If you don't want those batteries of yours I could take them off your hands as I live down the road from you. I may go back and have another search in that area to see what else is there but loads of these cases still remain there though.

I have been trying to find them on the internet but no joy though but also there was a broken Alcad cell there to and there were nickel iron cells, plastic case ones and not metal. I also found a few broken Chloride cell cases at Marley Hill NCB colliery site, you may remember this place Ed as it closed in May 1983.

Return to Dials, Logo's & Batteries