It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:51 am

How to remove a bonded implosion screen - Stateside

How to remove a bonded implosion screen - Stateside

Post by Katie Bush » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi all,

Have you ever wondered about removing a bonded implosion screen from a CRT? Any CRT?

Here's one American guy's method, and it seems to work, but I wouldn't recommend doing this at home kids! :aae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8lrtnG8Fls

The video clip isn't just about removing the screen, so you'll need to watch about two minutes to get that far.

Risk assessment - Wear the fox hat! :bba

Marion

Re: How to remove a bonded implosion screen - Stateside

Post by sideband » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:38 am

So the original owner used a hammer and chisel to get the guard off??? :ccf

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 pm

sideband wrote:So the original owner used a hammer and chisel to get the guard off??? :ccf

Poetic licence perhaps, but I'd guess that if it had already started to de-laminate, there might have been some plausibility in getting a fine woodworking chisel between the glass and the implosion screen? Not so sure about a hammer though, unless it was a toffee hammer. :aak

I had to wonder at all the "riot gear" but then nothing to protect his hands! :aao Surely, if the glass should break and the screen implode, the hand on the tube face would be at risk of being drawn in by the sudden inrush of air? Or pushed in by his own pressure leaning on the glass.

I reckon I'd quietly 'wuss out' on that one......

Marion

Post by sideband » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Katie Bush wrote:Poet licence perhaps, but I'd guess that if it had already started to de-laminate, there might have been some plausibility in getting a fine woodworking chisel between the glass and the implosion screen? Marion

No not me....not with all that air pressure waiting to crack the glass. I used to steer clear of those huge tubes used in the Fergy 308T...the engineer had a couple to change and was waiting for the regunner to collect them. They sat at the top of the stairs, outside the workshop for a few days looking at me.......When they came back looking like new, he made me re-fit them..... :ccf :aac

I've never been the same since......

Post by Alastair » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:06 pm

There's another youtube vid where the guy is trying to remove a faceplate from a rectangular CRT....

Fail!

Whole lot ends up in the trash-can when it lets go!

Post by sideband » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Alastair E wrote:There's another youtube vid where the guy is trying to remove a faceplate from a rectangular CRT....Fail!

Link here

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:12 pm

I remember it was a scary business refitting the all-glass 21FBP22 21" roundie CRT into the RCA CTC7. I soon found it was a very difficult task to manoeuvre the tube past the various metal brackets inside the cabinet in order it could be positioned in the mask. The RCA 21CD872 "Abington" employs a separate safety glass.
Link to the late Ed Reitan's colour TV website: http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/i ... ton300.gif
My set is the "late" production CTC7. Does not have an UHF tuner.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Return to Black & White Television