It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 am

Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Re: Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Derren wrote:Thanks much appreciated, on the face of it this part (plug) appears to be missing :)

I wonder if you take the LOPT housing off you'll find the wonder plug loose in there ? :aaq

Marc.

Post by Derren » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

No sign of any plug, has it been modified, can anyone figure it out?
Attachments
PICT0881.JPG

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi Derren,

I'm wondering if your set is a manufacturers updated model rather than modified ???
If you look at my LOPT it's clearly a different paxolin panel to yours. :aaq

Out of curiosity what is the serial number on your set ?
mine is 21966.

Marc.
DSCF3594 forum.jpg
Last edited by marc on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Katie Bush » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Not sure exactly where on the chassis it would be located, but a common feature on the TV75 ~ TV85 and so forth was a long inductor with what looked like a trombone slide (U shaped wire) with a ferrite core at one end, and a locking nut/screw at the other to adjust the width.. It's got to be worth having a very good look for such an adjustment device - it wouldn't be far from the LOPT (if indeed it exists on this set).

It could be that your set is an earlier, or later, model with a different method of adjustment to that of Marc's set.

Post by Derren » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks all, no can't find any width adjuster lurking anywhere near, not so far anyhow. Unlike on your set Marc, those three wires on the side can be disconnected on mine as they appear to be plugs/sockets, I wonder if they adjust the width? Wished I'd never messed about with them, one socket has now come loose so will most likely have to be soldered. Does 282/02765 sound like a serial number?

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Derren wrote:. Does 282/02765 sound like a serial number?

Yep and that's an early set...2765 as apposed to my 21966.
The tree wires on the side of the paxolin that can be unplugged are the same on my LOPT too and they don't adjust the width on mine.

Just noticed this on trader sheet......
tv 80 info.JPG
tv 80 info.JPG (27.03 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

So a different LOPT was fitted to some models.

Marc.

Post by Derren » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks for the help, I am putting it back in its case for now, I can't see any way of adjusting the width on here, and yet it has that label which says "Increase Width" with a large arrow pointing down. Just a little bit of background, despite being full of 'waxies' and Hunts this one does work fairly well, the problems are poor linearity and lack of width, I was going to try and adjust the width before going any further, but clearly there's a lot to do yet so there's plenty of room for improvement. One thing I do find peculiar is there is effectively 'too much brightness and contrast' once the set has been on for perhaps 20 mins + both of those controls have to be on their minimum and still the picture is a bit too bright. As I said, lots more to do regardless, only one, possibly two caps replaced by previous owner and I noticed a newer type "Pinnacle" valve too.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 am

marc wrote:
Derren wrote:. Does 282/02765 sound like a serial number?

Yep and that's an early set...2765 as apposed to my 21966.

Be careful Marc! The prefix is also an important part of a Bush serial number and could change for different production versions. Your supposition only applies if your's also has the same 282 prefix.

Derren, have you checked to see if your set has the shorted ring type of width/linearity control?

It consists of foil shorted turn laminated onto thickish paper and wrapped round the tube neck under the scan coils. There should be a black plastic bit glued to it so that it can be moved back and forth - but not twisted! - to adjust for optimum width/linearity after the scan coil clamp is loosened. However, the adjuster may be missing or loose on the crt neck - look for the paper tube protruding from the rear of the scan coils - which makes adjustment a bit trickier!

Don't push it further forward than absolutely necessary (there should be ~10% overscan) as that could cause the scan coils to overheat.

Post by marc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 am

Terrykc wrote:Be careful Marc! The prefix is also an important part of a Bush serial number and could change for different production versions. Your supposition only applies if your's also has the same 282 prefix.

Hi Terry,

My set also has 282 prefix as well :aad

Marc.

Post by Derren » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks for the suggestion but no I can't see any kind of width adjustment around the tube neck. Have now got the "Trader" circuit, lots of other things to do/check that will hopefully improve things but I find it hard to believe there is no way to control the width.

Previous

Return to Black & White Television