It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Post by marc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi all,

I have a rather nice (well to me anyway) GEC BT311 but the CRT is getting tired and very silvery so a few months ago I acquired a rather rough looking Bush TV80 with the thoughts of perhaps using it's AW 36/80 CRT as a donor for the GEC, though whether it could be made to fit I'm not sure. Tonight however once I'd got the TV80 on the bench to check the CRT with the B&K I realised that the chassis all looks rather good leaving me wondering whether to restore it. :aab
The rexine cabinet is a bit rough but I'm sure I could do something to smarten it up. :aaq
Anyway here's some photo's of the Shrub starting with the all important CRT health check.....

Marc.
DSCF3576 forum.jpg

DSCF3582 forum.jpg

DSCF3584 forum.jpg

DSCF3578 forum.jpg

DSCF3581 forum.jpg

DSCF3579 forum.jpg
Attachments
DSCF3580 forum.jpg

Re: Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Post by slidertogrid » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi Marc, IMHO It would be a shame to break the Bush. The chassis looks really good! I have been here a few times, buying a donor set to find it's much too good to break. Is the Tube in the GEC too far gone to risk trying a gentle boost?
Regards, Rich.

Post by Katie Bush » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi Marc,

Who's been hiding his Bush under a bushel? :ccb

That is definitely worth restoring, and from what I've seen, the cabinet is in pretty good shape - there are a lot worse out there!

Watch out for the LOPT.. These were a bit prone to arcing at the EY51 anode, and could burn the mount/pad and wire from the overwind.. Otherwise, a nice little set with a pleasing demeanour and a good performer.. We (well, our kid) had one way back in the early 1970s.. Cheap as chips to buy then, but rather well sought after these days.

Watch out for the Bush Button tuner, which may need a mechanical service before it will work properly.. Easy to work on, and absolutely use no force to turn the buttons.. If they jam, or refuse to turn freely, whip out the tuner and spend an hour or so getting acquainted. :aad

To rob for bits would be a big mistake!

Marion

Post by marc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:12 am

Trust me this set did only look suitable for spares when I got it, a real mess !
Thanks for the tips to watch out for Marion and Rich I will have a look at the GEC regarding a gentle boost but I suspect it's already seen some action before. :cch

So fear not brethren of this site, restoration will be the way forward for this shrub :qq1

Marc.

Post by sideband » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 am

Doesn't look like a lot of work has been done in the past. I can see the mains filter cap has blown its top and a polo mint dropper section. I reckon the usual caps and you'll have a working set. Too good to break!

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi Marc,
The TV80 was one of the best small screen portable sets made in the later 1950s, not as good as the PTV of course but nevertheless very good. I'd keep faith with it.
If you want to see pictures of a really tatty portable TV, there is a Murphy V350 upstairs. The fiber board cabinet is disintegrating slowly but surely.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by marc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Having looked a bit closer at the set it looks like very little has ever been done to it apart from the polo dropper that Rich spotted and a replacement cap in the timebase so I would imagine that this set wasn't exactly over used in it's day especially with the CRT readings I got on the B&K.

I'm hoping to start working on it this week, I shall keep you all posted. :)

Marc.

Post by Tech12 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Looks like it will be a nice little set when done? Go on, you know you want to save it really :bba

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Till Eulenspiegel wrote:If you want to see pictures of a really tatty portable TV, there is a Murphy V350 upstairs. The fiber board cabinet is disintegrating slowly but surely.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Ooh, I'd love to see a working one of these.. Mine is basically dead but in a good cabinet - I must give it a consideration, soon.

Marion

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Information for the TV80 can be found in the 1959/60 Radio and Television servicing book. The set was in the shops late 1958.
It looks like the original metal HT rectifier has been replaced by a silicon diode.
Usual high quality build construction you'd expect from Bush. No nasty mains dropper resistor in this set, instead an auto transformer is employed. The transformer has an additional winding which connected in series with the HT supply to function as a ripple canceller.
It's not a fringe area receiver, performance was adequate.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Till Eulenspiegel wrote:Information for the TV80 can be found in the 1959/60 Radio and Television servicing book. The set was in the shops late 1958.

Till Eulenspiegel.

That would make it a close contemporary/companion to the TV85 then? (Give or take a year)..

Marion

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Marion,
I think both sets appeared in the same sales catalogue. Famous "Bush Buttons"

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 pm

marc wrote:Trust me this set did only look suitable for spares when I got it, a real mess !
Thanks for the tips to watch out for Marion and Rich I will have a look at the GEC regarding a gentle boost but I suspect it's already seen some action before. :cch

So fear not brethren of this site, restoration will be the way forward for this shrub :qq1

Marc.

Hi Marc,
Is the 14" GEC the one I brought over two years ago? The CRT is a Mazda CME1402, you've got to be careful about reactivating these tubes. The CRT in my BT311 is a bit dim also. It gets brighter with use.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi Till,

I wonder why Bush adopted PCB construction in this set, but kept to hand wiring for table models?

Marion

Post by marc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Till Eulenspiegel wrote:Hi Marc,
Is the 14" GEC the one I brought over two years ago? The CRT is a Mazda CME1402, you've got to be careful about reactivating these tubes. The CRT in my BT311 is a bit dim also. It gets brighter with use.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Hi Till,

Yes it is that GEC BT311 set you brought me and it's one of my favourites too which is why I would like to find another CRT for it eventually.
However for the time being I did wonder if the "clean & balance" function on the B&K would help matters, I'm not keen with the idea of "bopping" it as it does still have some life left which could be at risk. What do you think ? :aaq

Marc.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Marion,
All the components could easily been mounted on metal plates of the same size. It is somewhat strange because at the time the TV80 and TV85 models were being made the companies' portable radios were also built on conventional metal chassis. Of course in the 1950s printed circuits were the latest trick so could be a good thing to offer a set built according to the latest techniques.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 pm

marc wrote:However for the time being I did wonder if the "clean & balance" function on the B&K would help matters, I'm not keen with the idea of "bopping" it as it does still have some life left which could be at risk. What do you think ? :aaq

Marc.

Hi Marc,
The truth is there is nothing nice about any of the CRT reactivation techniques. The usual procedure is to draw a heavy current between the CRT grid and cathode and the process simply chews up the surface of the cathode pill.
The German made "Muter" CRT regenerator employs a system which at the time of reactivation the tube heater supply is switched off so a degree of self regulation of H-K current is possible.
When you think about it the beam current of a small mono CRT will be about 300microamperes in normal use. In a reactivator which uses 15watt pygmy bulb as the current limiting device the H-K current will be something like 60mA.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Post by marc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Till,

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just live with what's left of the GEC's Mazda Tube until a replacement turns up.

Marc.

Post by AidanLunn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 pm

I remember seeing a TV80 in a junk shop's window in Barnsley. I couldn't get it at the time as I was too busy with something else, but when I returned later that day, it had disappeared from the window. I enquired about it to the person behind the counter but she had just sold it :aaf

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:51 am

Katie Bush wrote:I wonder why Bush adopted PCB construction in this set, but kept to hand wiring for table models?
Perhaps it was an experiment?

As Till has said, their portable radios at the time - TR82, followed by the TR90, the Mk II TR82 and VTR103 - were all hand wired on a metal chassis. Similarly, on the TV front, hand wiring continued beyond the TV85 series to include the TV95, 105, 115, & 125 series of models, the TV125 series coming out around the time of Rank's acquisition of Murphy.

As the combined company then moved its operations to Murphy's existing plant at Welwyn Garden City, one wonders how much influence Murphy's design team had on future models and how many Bush people were left by the wayside ...

Funnily enough, I met Bernard Rogers, formerly Bush's Chief Design Engineer, several times at the beginning of the 80's when he was representing BREMA at meetings organised by BT to discuss the future of Viewdata systems. It would have been the ideal opportunity to find out 'from the horse's mouth' exactly what did go on after RBM was formed but never occurred to me at the time.

Now we will probably never know ... 

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:28 pm

One thing I would warn you of, Marc - the finish on the case is painted so be very careful when you clean it. It is possible to remove it :ccg

I have two of these, and one of them is rather interesting: it has never had a serial number fitted, and it came from a former employee in Ernesettle. It also has detail differences.

Post by marc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Cathovisor wrote:One thing I would warn you of, Marc - the finish on the case is painted so be very careful when you clean it. It is possible to remove it :ccg

Hi Catho,

Actually that's one problem this set has, the finish is a bit grotty and has rubbed through in places (not by my cleaning efforts I hasten to add) and it does look pretty poor hence originally acquired as a scrapper.
I've been mulling it over as to what I could do to improve it's looks but haven't come up with any reasonable solutions yet. :aaq

Marc.

Post by Lloyd » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Fablon!

Or indeed a similar product of your choosing...

I got a roll of self adhesive vinyl in carbon fibre effect from eBay a while ago, it looks pretty good, I used it on a torch I made from a baked bean can, and also instead of paint on a 7" lcd monitor I made. The stuff was originally for vinyl wrapping cars, so is quite durable.

Regards,
Lloyd.

Post by marc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Lloyd wrote:Fablon!

Or indeed a similar product of your choosing...

I got a roll of self adhesive vinyl in carbon fibre effect from eBay a while ago, it looks pretty good, I used it on a torch I made from a baked bean can, and also instead of paint on a 7" lcd monitor I made. The stuff was originally for vinyl wrapping cars, so is quite durable.

Regards,
Lloyd.

Hi Lloyd,

Actually that had crossed my mind and I have had some very good results in the past with it as you can see below on my Alba 2319 (Thorn 8500) but the fibre cabinet of the TV80 is a textured finish, I suppose with heat applied the Fablon/vinyl would take to it....if I can find a suitable colour match. :aaq

Marc.
DSCF3587 forum.jpg
The very grotty top and sides on my Alba 2319 were recovered in Fablon, not a perfect match but darn close.

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:00 pm

The edges might be a problem but have you considered a loose woven fabric, glued and varnished? If you cam get a reasonable colour match it would also replicate the embossed look.

Next

Return to Television