It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

Re: Bush TV80 14" Transportable

Post by Katie Bush » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Yep,

Time to ring test that LOPT, even if only to rule it out as a duffer...

PL not getting hot?

Marion

Post by marc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Katie Bush wrote:PL not getting hot?
Marion

Hi Marion,
No, it's running normal (substitute have been tried).

Marc.

Post by marc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi all,

Just ring tested the LOPT
This is not looking good......
DSCF3612 forum.jpg

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:52 pm

There's an Anglo-Saxon expletive that can be used as noun, verb and adjective to form a sentence that describes that LOPT.... :qq1

Post by marc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:07 pm

Cathovisor wrote:There's an Anglo-Saxon expletive that can be used as noun, verb and adjective to form a sentence that describes that LOPT....

Far too polite old boy ! You mean it's.... :stm: :elc: :bbd :zx:

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:33 pm

marc wrote:
Cathovisor wrote:There's an Anglo-Saxon expletive that can be used as noun, verb and adjective to form a sentence that describes that LOPT....

Phoofed?!

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Viking Funeral. You know it makes sense :bba

Post by marc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Katie Bush wrote:
marc wrote:

Phoofed?!

That's the one Marion !!!

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 pm

Cathovisor wrote:Viking Funeral. You know it makes sense :bba

Pop, crackle and phoof, then!!

Post by Katie Bush » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Joking aside, would Ed Dinning be able to rewind that thing? I know they're a small and fiddly little effort, but........?

What are the chances of finding yet another set, but with a good LOPT? Or, what about a jellypot transplant?

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Well, let's see if the LOPT from my 'spare' TV80 helps...

Post by marc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Katie Bush wrote:Joking aside, would Ed Dinning be able to rewind that thing? I know they're a small and fiddly little effort, but........?

What are the chances of finding yet another set, but with a good LOPT? Or, what about a jellypot transplant?

Hi Marion,

I can't afford to have the LOPT rewound so here's hoping a donor turns up.
So that's that for now.
I'll box it back up and stick it on the shelf.....there's going to be some serious cobwebs to shift before it see's the bench again me thinks ! :cch

Marc.

EDIT..... Just spotted Catho's post, looks like this TV80 aint going back on the shelf just yet :aaq

Post by marc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi all,

Along came Friday and with it a visit from Catho and his 'spare' TV80 :qq1

Once the ceremonial cuppa (or two) had been slurped we took the cover off Catho's TV and extricated the LOPT from it and then preceded up to my workshop.
Now I'm not saying my workshop is small but we quickly worked out that if one of us breathed in whilst the other breathed out we could just about fit in there together :bba .

First thing I checked was how the original LOPT compared with it's connections to the width caps and actually realised that it had been done wrong sometime in it's past although I had corrected it during this saga.
The 'new' LOPT was ring tested but gave some extraordinary readings that made no sense at all but put it down to the scope not wanting to play ball so we plonked the LOPT into my TV80 anyway.
The set was brought up on the variac but the line whistle sounded really unhappy, powered off and realised the PL wire had come adrift from the LOPT, then Catho also spotted that not only was it adrift but also had been connected to the wrong tag !.....What are the chances of two LOPT's from two sets both incorrectly wired ? :aab
PL wire re soldered to it's proper location and power reapplied finally gave us first light albeit with the appearance of frame collapse. A bit of fiddling with rather stiff adjustment pots did eventually give some height to the raster and a resistor replacement on the height pot gave us full screen.

With a signal fed in from the Aurora there was a poor unlocked picture so Catho now got handy with the scope (and mesmerised me in the process with his skills....message to self...must learn to use scope !) and found there was too much video getting through which was traced back to a bad waxie on the RF panel, a new one temporally tacked in and hey presto we had a locked picture.
That sort of concluded work for the day and retirement to downstairs for lashings of more tea and a darn good natter.
Finally it was almost bewitching hour and time for Catho to leave after a wonderfully fun day of telly play and great conversation....
Thanks my friend for everything. :cca

Marc.

To be continued.......

Post by Colourstar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:46 pm

What? Lashings of tea but no Yorkshire curry? Tsk! :aao

I jest of course. Hardly time to be chopping coriander when there's LOPTy business afoot. I'm really pleased for you that the TV80 wants to live again. It's about time you had some luck come your way, telly-wise. Really looking forward to seeing some pics of progress. Well done Sir(s)! :aad

It has to be said that this kind of thing always seems easier when there are two of you on the case.

Steve

Post by Cathovisor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:58 pm

marc wrote:With a signal fed in from the Aurora there was a poor unlocked picture so Catho now got handy with the scope (and mesmerised me in the process with his skills....message to self...must learn to use scope !) and found there was too much video getting through which was traced back to a bad waxie on the RF panel, a new one temporally tacked in and hey presto we had a locked picture.

Marc embarrasses me with his praise, I was just a bystander. However, in case you're wondering, my good friend has omitted the words ...on the sync. sep anode after 'getting through'. Which is why the timebases were locking to picture content.

Scoping the set showed that whilst video was in the correct proportions at the detector diode cathode and the video output valve anode, at the grid of the sync. sep. the syncs were actually crushed out of the video waveform. There's a short and stubby 0.1µF wax paper cap isolating the video output anode from the sync. sep. control grid: the low voltages all around this valve gave real cause for concern but the scope gave up the fault.

What amazed me is just how solidly locked the timebases were after we changed the aforementioned cap: there was a terrific amount of travel available on both line and field hold and unusually for a portable (IMO) the line oscillator is of the direct sync, cross-coupled multivibrator type.

Post by marc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Colourstar wrote:What? Lashings of tea but no Yorkshire curry? Tsk! :aao
Steve

Not this time, it was authentic home made Yorkshire Lasagne ! :qq1

Marc.

Post by marc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi all,

The home stretch.....
The time base had already been recapped as per a few posts back so now it was time to replace the last few 'Hunts' and the odd waxie on the RF board.
Running the set up again showed that the picture centring was quite a way off, this was also evident during Catho's visit but the centring magnet was not only damn tight but very difficult to access safely so was left for the time being, so today I squirted a drop of WD40 onto the magnet screw and started to work it back and forth and after what seemed an eternity the screw finally ran smoothly allowing adjustment to be made.
Once the picture was centred the width was too wide so the width plug on the LOPT was moved from max to medium.
The power switch was also stuck in the 'on' position so was taken apart, cleaned and reassembled.
The final part was the cabinet which wasn't in the best of cosmetic condition, was swapped for the one on Catho's set, much better !

So that's just about it, the set has been running all day today without any issues, so what started life as a potential scrap set for pinching the CRT from has turned into a rather nice little telly with a good bright pleasing picture. :)

Marc.
DSCF3643 forum.jpg

DSCF3644 forum.jpg

Post by Colourstar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 am

Wow! What an absolutely fantastic looking set that is!

Steve :thumb

Post by Cathovisor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:35 pm

If only we could find a sliding cover for the controls...

Post by marc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Steve,

I wish with hindsight I had a photo of it in the state the TV80 was found in, it really did look to be a no hoper but acquired for parts it didn't attract my camera to it :zx:

Hi Catho,

I would be nice to find the control cover but I won't hold my breath over that, still a request in the wanted column might yield something :aaq

Marc.

Post by Derren » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 am

Can someone tell me how to adjust the width on the Bush TV80? On the side of the lopt cover there is a panel which says "Increase Width" with a large arrow pointing down but I cannot see anything to adjust! I assume there should be a flying lead and/or a plug which can be slotted into different positions? All I can see is three wires going into three sockets, nothing adjustable here.

Post by PYE625 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 am

What a great little set Marc.....amazing how things can turn out isn't it :aad

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 am

Derren wrote:Can someone tell me how to adjust the width on the Bush TV80? On the side of the lopt cover there is a panel which says "Increase Width" with a large arrow pointing down but I cannot see anything to adjust! I assume there should be a flying lead and/or a plug which can be slotted into different positions? All I can see is three wires going into three sockets, nothing adjustable here.

Hi Derren,
There should be a paxolin panel showing through the LOPT housing which has 3 pairs of sockets on it and a wonder plug, take a look at the photo below.

Hope this helps.

Marc.
DSCF3578 forum.jpg
The wonder plug can be seen at the bottom centre of the LOPT housing

Post by marc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 am

PYE625 wrote:What a great little set Marc.....amazing how things can turn out isn't it :aad

Cheers Andrew,
Proof if proof were ever needed that rocking horse poop can indeed turn up to make your plastic roses grow. :qq1
And this little set certainly gives a very rosie little picture. :)

Marc.

Post by Derren » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks much appreciated, on the face of it this part (plug) appears to be missing :)

PreviousNext

Return to Television