It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:30 am

1977 Aphelion TV :Telefunken 712 Chassis

Pre War 240/405, Post War 405 Line, B&W Dual Standard, Colour Dual Standard, B&W S/S 625, Colour S/S 625 line, Hybrids. Standards converters & modulators, video recorders.

Re: Telefunken 712 Chassis: Early Aphelion?

Post by CTV » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 pm

After spending some time on German vintage forums with translate, I've found out this set was manufactured in the 19th week ( May) of 1977. Every module I noticed has a 197 sticker and over on the forum they explain this is the date code. Also one of the very first 712 chassis with infra-red. No luck tracking the model number yet, that quest continues.

Re: 1977 Telefunken 712 Chassis: Early Aphelion?

Post by malcscott » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Neons.

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 am

If it's an ordinary bulb you should be able to read the continuity of them
If it's a neon you won't
You could also check the voltage across a working bulb to,determined what voltage
Lamp to fit

Chris

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:26 am

I know this is a bit radical but surely, you know, looking at the circuit diagram will tell you whether they're bulbs or neon?

Re: Telefunken 712 Chassis: Early Aphelion?

Post by CTV » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 am

Cathovisor wrote:I know this is a bit radical but surely, you know, looking at the circuit diagram

CrustyTV wrote:They have component designations of LA10xx so I can try and see if the German manuals/ccts have any component details

Thanks for the vote of no confidence with the assumption I had not. :qq1 As you can see from my post that's what I did.

As ever with the 712 there are many variants as this thread has shown, this is no different when it came to channel indicator display. It appears the data I have thus far does not show my version but does other types like segmented LED for channel id but no channel number illumination. In the German manual and there appears to be nowt for mine nor the Trader sheet.

They are bulbs not neons as Chris' ( teleman) test revealed. Anyway this thread and set is done, the backs going on, I'm not going to obsess about channel indicator lights. Lets follow other more interesting threads now such as Andrews BRC 981 repair and Telemans Fergy 3173.

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am

Au contraire, this has been a very interesting thread. Certainly brought back some interesting memories of my 711.

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Very interesting thread indeed!
I must admit I have never seen one of these sets but it looks well built &
Knowing German engineering it's probably over engineered
But never the less it's a cracking set & a cracking restoration
I look forward to your next project
Well done !

Chris

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 pm

I think the next telly should be the G6 :qq1

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Now your talking !
That takes me back a bit , in fact it takes me back a lot
Is this a single standard or a dual standard ?
Never got acquainted with a dual standard
But the single standard 22 inch set gave pretty good results for a valve
Decoder
Either way I'm looking forward to that restoration

Chris

Post by CTV » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Cathovisor wrote:I think the next telly should be the G6 :qq1

The_Teleman wrote:looking forward to that restoration

No point I had it on the bench in Oct 2014, its pretty much working now. Back then all I found some pinged of wires, a wrong value cap fitted in the line stage C5015. X2151 ( OA81) AGC amp was O/C. The Line stabilisation was high on both standards which was not good so adjusted line stabilisation for 585V on 625 (R5040), 470V on 405(R5041).Adjusted Shunt stabilisation (R5053) for 1.2V across the 1K resistor and set the ACC pre-set (R7179), followed by doing a Grey-scale. All it needs is the dynamic convergence and the ACC looking at again as I couldn't turn colour down (probably the preset). The main work it really needs is to the TV cabinet legs

The_Teleman wrote:Is this a single standard or a dual standard ?

Its dual standard http://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1967-philips-g25k502/

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Ah yes I remember you showing it to me when I came round to your place
Very impressive
In fact your whole collection is very impressive
I've never seen so many vintage colour sets in one place
Wish I still had my Gec 2028 dual standard set :ccb
In fact at one point I had 2 of them .
Vintage colour seem harder to find than mono & they go for silly money

What's your next project then Chris?

Chris

Re: 1977 Aphelion TV :Telefunken 712 Chassis

Post by CTV » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:55 pm

** Important Development Regarding the background of this TV and the range **

As you know I've been researching the history of this set since It came into my possession. Eventually I contacted Telefunken in Germany hoping they might have records in their archive. This was a dead end as I found out Telefunken are gone its just a company that bought the name to use on their products.

I then had a breakthrough early in the week when it was suggested the TV might in fact be an Aphelion designed by Steve Foster. Initially I laughed this off as the only evidence I could find was a page detailing the ones that were produced in the 1990's using the 28" Nicam Thomson chassis, clearly mine is not one of these. Not giving up there I decided to look into the designer Steve Foster, perhaps he might have bought the rights to the TV to reproduce it in the 90's, he might know more. I then found an artists website where Steve showcases his work, on there I found his profile. It stated that his claim to fame was the Aphelion Oval Television that he first produced in 1973..... Bingo!

So he did the earlier ones too likely he would have used the Chassis' available at the time and this set was indeed an Aphelion. So via the artists website asked if they would pass on my information request which was to ask if it was and if he could fill in the blanks.

Today Steve responded with a whole raft of historical info about the set. I will post this in the lounge for privacy reasons. There were approx 200 made in the 70's and only 120 in the 90's. Absolutely wonderful to be able to get a vintage set then connect to the past with the people who made it happen. A fitting end to the thread.

Post by Cathovisor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:31 pm

That is absolutely fabulous news, Chris. I'm off for a read now!

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:47 pm

That's fantastic ! At least your perseverance paid off well done

I have a Forgestone set made in the 70's it's a kit set to build yourself
I have all the original paperwork for it as well as spare unbuilt panels
The cabinet leaves a lot to be desired but I thought it another bit of tv history worth Saving
I'll post another thread about it sometime .

I'm at off for a read too

Chris

Post by CTV » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm

The_Teleman wrote:I have a Forgestone set made in the 70's it's a kit set to build yourself
Chris

I did an article for my website on those kits http://www.radios-tv.co.uk/early-ctv-kits/

Post by The_Teleman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:41 pm

That's the one Chris
Even though they say it's good quality personally I don't think it's that good
The build quality is certainly better than the performance
But it might be worth a mention on this site

Chris

Post by Mark Hennessy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:56 pm

I know the man behind Forgestone; I worked with his son when I joined the BBC in Norwich. His dad worked for Anglia... Really nice people. I could probably put you in touch with them if you wanted.

Post by ntscuser » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 am

This has been a Telefunken good read!

Have you named the Telefunken yet Chris, because I was thinking "Ophelia" might be appropriate?

"Ophelia the Aphelion" :bba

Post by CTV » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 am

ntscuser wrote:"Ophelia the Aphelion" :bba

That's it, from now on I will not be able to think of it in any other way. Makes it sound like a sophisticated, rotund opera singer. :bba

ntscuser wrote:This has been a Telefunken good read!

I'm pleased you found it so. I have to say its been a lot of fun for me too, I'm quite taken with the Telefunken chassis. From a servicing point I would think it one of the better ones to work on. Had I been in the trade I would have loved having this one or any similar Telefunkens come in for repair. The chassis access incredible, modular design taken to it limits and you are rewarded with a stunning picture for you efforts. I wonder what LLJ would have said about them? I've not checked the library and his section to see if one ever landed in his shop.

The icing on the cake on this sets journey was the investigation into its manufacturer. I never expected to end up speaking to the designer. Now when people search the web for Alphelion TV's and find the set on the main site and here, they will get a fuller picture ( pun) than what little was out there before.

Now, can I find another early 70's Telefunken :qq1

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:04 am

CrustyTV wrote:I did an article for my website on those kits http://www.radios-tv.co.uk/early-ctv-kits/
Chris, in that article you said:
Wireless World

I’ve been informed that a magazine called Wireless World, was the first to run a series of articles on a home constructed CTV which ran from 1968-1969.
They did, indeed, and the issues concerned can be downloaded from this site.The first article appeared in the June 1968 issue and, to save you hunting, starts on page 74 of the pdf file.

Post by Cathovisor » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Thinking back to "what set next?", haven't you got a rare Decca hybrid?

Post by Marcus 3500 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:07 am

Hello Chris

Did you get any original service info regarding the Aphelion 712? A guy I know who lives near Doncaster has one of these sets and put up for sale all the original service manuals on UKVRR a few years ago, but wanted quite a lot of money so they did not sell.

I will be going home today so will not be able to ask him if he still wants to sell, but if you are interested I can find out next time I'm in South Yorkshire. Hope this helps.

Marcus.

Post by CTV » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 am

Marcus 3500 wrote:Hello Chris

A guy I know who lives near Doncaster.......... has all the original service manuals.............. if you are interested I can find out next time I'm in South Yorkshire. Hope this helps.

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

yes please that would be much appreciated if you could, I will keep my fingers crossed he still has them.

I suspect the price wasn't the only reason there was no interest on UKVRRR.

Having corresponded with the designer ( Steve Foster) he explained the first run in the 1970's was a little over 200 sets, of those 200 around 80% were based on Telefunken. Now we all know the survival rates of mass produced early colour televisions are not good, so imagine how few of these Aphelion survived. Those that did are likely to be in very small numbers, then how many of those are in the hands of collectors capable or prepared to restore rather than swap in a modern flat panel? I think an even smaller number.

A lot of the ones I've seen surfacing on e-bay recently are from the second run which was in the 1990's, these using the 28" Nicam Thomson chassis.

Before I worked on this TV there was zero technical info to be found on the internet about the Aphelion and virtually the same with regards to their production. Now with a Google search for "Aphelion Television" it finds this repair thread and the main site blog. Making contact with Steve filled in the production logistics gaps so If I can get hold of the actual Aphelion 712 service manual, that would be the final missing element. All this should now help anyone else who sets out on the task of repairing or just researching about these unique early colour televisions.

Previous

Return to Television